The Seven

Chapter 5: The Seven

Quote of the Day: "The heart becomes corrupt in six ways; committing sins in the hope of repenting, seeking knowledge and not applying it, practice without ikhlas, eating the sustenance of Allah (SWT) without appreciating Him, not being pleased with Allah's decree and burying the dead without learning from them." ~Al-Hasan Al-Basree

Seven Qualities Allah Loves

1) Tawbah (Repentance)

Allah says: “Truly Allah loves those who turn to Him in repentance.” (Al-Quran 2:222)

Repentance is a form of detoxification – Sincere repentance cleanses and beautifies the Imaan (faith). We all commit sins but Allah loves those who after committing sins, seek forgiveness with deep sorrow and regret. This is the only way by which the past can be set right. Allah has a concern for those He loves, therefore each time we slip and relapse into the abyss of desires and sincerely repent, He (exalted be Him) leads us out of it to the summit of forgiveness and further relieves us of hardship and provides for us.

2) Taharah (Purification)

Allah says: “Allah loves those who purify themselves.” (Al-Quran 2: 222).

This is the external purification. The secret to this is performing the acts with the intention of following the example of the Prophet (SAW). The removal of filth from the body by performing wudu’ (ablution)and ghusl (ritual bath) and removal of filth from the garment, body and place of prayer. They are acts that purify the body and radiate the Imaan. It is a means by which Almighty Allah will wipe out our sins and raise our ranks.

3) Taqwa (Piety)

Allah says: “Surely, Allah loves Al-Muttaqun (the pious).” (Al-Quran 9: 4)

The fear of Allah is the source of a pure soul – it is borne out of love and obedience. Thus, a pious person is constantly driven to do good only. He/She is humble and does not flaunt piety in front of others. The fear of Allah beautifies the Imaan and is the origin of all good as one continues to strive to do only what pleases Allah and stay away from the things that would displease him. Piety is an internal quality as the Prophet (SAW) said: “Taqwa is here” and he pointed to his chest (Muslim) and it is a quality that puts us above others in the sight of Allah.

4) Ihsan (Goodness & Perfection)

Allah says: “Verily Allah loves Al-Muhsinun (the good doers).” (Al-Quran 3: 34).

Prophet Muhammed (SAW) says: “Ihsan is to worship Allah as if you see Him and if you cannot achieve this devotion, then you must know that He sees you” (Al-Bukhari). Ihsan goes beyond a noble trait; it is an integral part of Islam. It is the secret to an attentive heart – knowing that Allah is watching everything. This fills the heart with respect and veneration and one becomes too embarrassed to go against Allah’s commands. It promotes performance of good deeds for the sake of Allah and not for show-off or to gain praise or fame.

5) Tawakul (Trust in Allah)

Allah says: “Allah loves those who put their trust in Him.” (Al-Quran 3:159).

The secret and reality of trust in Allah is the reliance of the heart on Allah alone. Therefore trusting in Allah by word of mouth is different from trusting in Him by the heart. Reliance is doing and hoping; doing everything necessary within one’s capability to achieve one’s aim and hoping with tranquility of heart and soul and putting one’s trust in Allah with firm belief that whatever the outcome might be, it is as a result of the Will of Allah and His Decree. One should never feel that too much time has passed by without supplications being answered; rather we should always place our hope on the One who is able to do all things.