Chapter 16: Spilling Our Guts

• Dedicated to Matt Traynor<3

Chapter 16:

"Your... brother?" I asked slowly, staring down at the pile of rotting flesh, trying my hardest not to throw up at the disturbing, stomach churning sight.

Cameron nodded, and I placed my shaky hand on his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him.

"I'm sorry," I said sympathetically. Jeremy nodded awkwardly in agreement, and there was silence between us for a short, undisturbed moment.

The silence was eventually filled with the shrill sounds of thick chains clanking, and everyone turned to stare down the dark hallway.

"Shit," Cameron stated, snapping out of some sort of sad trance. He quickly grabbed my wrist and began forcefully dragging me the opposite way, with Jeremy keeping close on our heels.

"Cameron... what is that?" I asked frantically, but I had a feeling he didn't have the answer to my question anyway. It was hard not to cringe away from his unexpected touch, considering he had his brother's mutilated flesh all over his hands still.

Cameron ignored my question and his bloodied hands, as the eerie clanking sound grow closer, even though we were now sprinting.

We stopped in front of a random door once we physically couldn't run anymore, and Cameron forcefully pushed it open so we could slip in.

It was dark, so dark I couldn't even see my own hands right in front of my face. I felt someone pulling me down to the floor though, so I sat down and tried to even out my unsteady breathing. The mysterious clanking sound got closer as the seconds ticked by, and eventually I laid down so I could see through the small crack under the door.

Nothing was there. I sat back up slowly and focused on listening to the sound of heavy chains get closer and closer.

Then, the sound suddenly stopped, and my breath hitched in my throat. Lying back down, I prepared myself to peek under the door crack again. I could hear Cameron and Jeremy hold their breath too as I glanced under the door, but again nothing was there.

"Nothing is there, guys," I whispered in a puzzled tone, still peeking through the narrow crack.

Suddenly an eye appeared on the other side, staring menacingly back at me. It was the dark, disturbing eye of a demon: all black hopelessness.

Screaming like a fucking madman, I shot up hastily and scurried back on my hands and butt, not caring that the splintered wood was piercing the dirty skin of my palms. Cameron and Jeremy's eyes widened to the size of saucers as they watched me, unaware of why I was suddenly freaking out.

This room was the size of a modest closet, so I couldn't put too much distance between the door and I, and I suddenly felt that trapped sensation again.

I was moving so wildly, and it was so dark that I didn't even realize at first when something pierced my back, something very very sharp.

"Ow fuck!" I shouted out, turning around, I still couldn't see anything in the darkness, but I stuck my hand out, blindly searching for the thing that just stabbed me. My hand finally touched it and my skin was pierced yet again; I could already feel thick, hot blood running down my finger.

The door handle jiggled, and I stared at it, holding my breath as the stabbing pain in my back was momentarily forgotten. Jeremy freaked out, quietly cussing, and begging for mercy under his breathe.

It suddenly stopped wiggling, and the lights abruptly came on. At first it was blinding because we had been in the pitch blackness for a while, but after my eyes adjusted, I turned around to finally see what had stabbed me.