Home Away From Home

Life's A Beach:Chapter 2:Home Away From Home

I hopped into the tranquil comfort of my car and sunk into the brand new leather seats. Flicking the decorative shells hung on my mirror, I relished in the tropical scent of the coconut air freshenser.

I recited the directions Aunt Nelly taught me to get home in my head repeatedly. The hum of the air conditioning buzzed from starting the car and cooled my melting body. I pulled out of the space and drove in silence while letting the windows down to whip the smell of the moist ocean breeze into the car.

"I wonder why he stormed off like that. Wait. What am I saying? I don't care." I rambled out loud while rashly gripping the wheel.

I peered over toward the beach then back onto the active street stocked with colorful boardwalk shops and restaurants. Everything on that side of the town was a beach. A long never ending landscape of baby blue skies, clear blue water, white sand dunes covered in sea grass, and tons of people. It was truely relaxing.

That place was my home away from home.

It had been a long time since I went to see Aunt Nelly. It was like she was still soaking it in herself. I was practically her's, and ten years older. Not the little six year old girl with missing teeth. I was sixteen years old to be exact.

Aunt Nelly was really young and in her early thirties. She had a smoking hot body, and a career to die for in Florida. She ran the shops, the events, the beach, the carnivals, everything on the boardwalk. She hired workers and fired workers. Everything on the boardwalk was literally hers.

She also had one of the best houses out there with an amazing beach backyard with a wrap around porch, high ceilings, open windows, a pool, four bedrooms all to herself.

Well, it was all to herself. I guess I was an exception.

After a few turns down familiar streets, the knot it my stomach began to unwind. I was sure to get lost, but I actually made it. 

The gated path to her house was straight ahead and the gorgeous white framing stuck out in the distance. Her yellow beach cruiser was sprawled out in the mowed lawn which meant she was home.

Aunt Nelly didn't use cars. Only bikes. Her job was in her backyard anyways.

I expertly parked on the stretched cobblestone driveway and sprung out with a smile plastered on my face. I gazed up at the large manor which was way bigger than I remembered that morning. I could hear the smooth waves cracking against the shore and faint Jazz music in the distance.

Beelining to the tall white front door, I pried it open and squeezed inside. I could see Aunt Nelly straight through the sleek modern living room and into the kitchen full of fancy stainless steel appliances.

She was hunched over the counter, back to me, and her long black hair was slicked into a cute bun on the top of her head. Her short yellow sundress was a vivid pop of color. Just like her bike.

Without turning around, she shrieked over the stereo playing her booming music. "Hey Marley, how was school sweetie?" The veins in her neck bulged and I knew she was smiling.

"It was different." I howled back plopping my bag onto the polished hardwood floors.

She smacked a button and the music cut off.

"Well it's over now, kid. Come help me with these darn cookies." She popped a handfull of chocolate chips into her mouth and spun around showing me her chocolatey smile and big brown eyes.

"Those are for the cookies, Aunt Nelly." I rushed through the living room and into the kitchen.

I snatched the bag of chocolates and giggled while casting it away from her reach