Fourteen

Ian dropped me off in front of the hospital and gave me his private number to call him later and let him know what was going on.

Of course my body was all in a rush as I walked down the hospital halls.
I was still overheated from the small playtime I had with Ian, conflicted about Sage, confused about Violet and worried sick about my father.

I was directed to room 303 on the west wing of the hospital to find my mother sitting outside of the room with her hands covering her face.
"Mom what happened?" I asked, my throat was already closing in with emotion.
"Is dad okay?" I quickly babble and she glances up at me. To my surprise, she's not sad- but actually looks genuinely angry.

My facial expression suddenly changes and I raise my eyebrow. "What's wrong?" I ask her and she rolls her tongue across the front row of her teeth and stands up.

"I don't know! The doctor won't tell me anything. All I know is that it was a head first collision with a car." My mom explains.

"Is he in intensive care?" I ask and my mom shakes his head.
"He was conscious when they retrieved his body." She says, rubbing the side of her head.

I fold my arms across my chest and sit in a chair where my mother had been and looked at my fingers.

It didn't take long before the doctor finally came to see us. "Winter family?" She says slowly and walks towards us with a clipboard.

She was fairly young and had a subtle smile across her face. Which meant good news.

"Yes?" My mother and I chime in unison.

"It's a miracle actually. He has mild head trauma but with the exception of having a few broken ribs- but he isn't in any pain- but we gave him so morphine because he still seems to be in a state of an adrenaline rush. But he's keeping up well." She informs us and I look past her.
"However, there are some issues to the car accident I think we should discuss." She adds and looks to my mom.

I finally get that, that was my cue to get the hell put of their way as she says,

"You may go in." She says as she notices my eager behavior.
I don't even wait for my mother as I make my way into the room.

My dad was laying on the soft satin sheets in a hospital bed attached to many machines. He lifted his head and smiled, "Hey princess." He whispered softly and I went and lifted myself onto his bed.

"How are you feeling?" I ask him and he reaches for my hand. "My ass hurts to be honest but I think I'll be alright." He says with a grin and I giggle quietly.

"How long will you be in here?"
"Probably a week. They have to analyze and watch over me since I do have mild head trauma but it's still not guaranteed that something can still happen to me." My dad admits and I nod, biting the inside of my cheek.

"Do you know what they have here?" My dad quickly says enthusiastically.

"What?" I ask.
"Your favorite." My dad says and it doesn't take long for me to understand what he's talking about.
"Double fudge chocolate chip cookies?" I ask with a childlike grin.

"Yes ma'am. I'll get the nurse to get us some." He says and reaches for his beeper.
"No. Allow me. Because she's probably only going to give us one each and I'm going to get us three." I say sneakily wiggling my eyebrows.

"Oh you little sneak. I raised you well." My dad says with a smile and I giggle and walk back out the door.

I slow down to sneak past my mom but I can't help but overhear their conversation.

"Why would he be on that side of town? He never goes there." My mother whispers harshly and the doctor shrugs and looks through her clipboard.
"He claims it was to get some coffee but there are seven coffee shops by his work. He was acting very suspiciously and didn't want us to go through his car. It's not any of my business Ms. Winter, but has he been acting odd lately?" She asks and I raise my eyebrows.
My mom rubs her chin and shakes her head. "No nothing. What are you insinuating?" My mom asks and doctor shakes her head.