Chapter one

William was deep in his glum slumber when a knocking sound came pelting on his door at full force. Startled, he rubbed his eyes, grabbed his trousers and weapons, and slowly sauntered to the door, his bare chest revealing runes and scars that he objectified as trophies, and nothing less.

It was to no surprise that Jem was the one behind the door. His hair as equally messy as Will’s. Untamed and unbrushed. Grey strands sticking out in every direction like branches of a withered old tree.

Will glanced at the old grandfather clock in his small, yet tidy room, and then straight back to Jem. 3AM. It had become a habit of Jem’s to come to Will’s room at this time. It didn’t shock Will in the slightest. In fact, he invited it.

Without a word exchanged, Will invited him inside, and sat himself down on the bed, tapping the space next to him. Jem, in turn, sat, whilst rubbing the back of his hair down as if to try and control it yet failed miserably.

“What’s on the agenda today then?” Will asked, waiting for Jem to discuss his deepest thoughts. This was his parabatai, his closest friend, the one person he could trust, and Jem knew that and felt the same. Anything Jem needed to say, he could say it to William, and he knew he would understand.

“That demon…last night..I…I’ve never felt so scared in my life, and I’m a Shadowhunter. It is not my right to be scared, it is my obligation, no, my duty, to protect. How can I protect others if I cannot protect myself?”

“You don’t need to worry about protecting yourself.” Will protested, “I will protect you. “

The corners of Jem’s mouths lifted, seeping a thoughtful smile on his lips. Will had always been there for him, through thick and thin, and he knew that Will would even sacrifice his life for him. It was what parabatai are supposed to do of course, but this was deeper than that. This was more than the bonds of parabatai. This was a bond that the depths of Hell itself couldn’t break.

Before a conversation had even properly ensued, Will had fallen asleep next to Jem. He always was a deep sleeper, and needed every hour of precious rest he could get, but that never stopped Jem from intruding in the night, and somehow, Jem knew that Will thought this was OK, regardless of that fact.

Jem placed a blanket over Will, and removed the weapons from his person.

“Goodnight, William.”

And Jem closed the door behind him. 

Monday mornings were always gloomy in the Institute. The rain hammered down on the windows like tiny daggers trying to break through the glass. William was suited in his finest attire, though the occasion was not special, and Jem was sipping soup carefully as to not spill any liquids onto his soft white shirt thus staining it completely.

“I think we ought to take a stroll today.” Jessamine chimed in, though to whom she was speaking to, Jem wasn’t sure.

“Hm?” Will muttered.

“Not you, you utter buffoon, why on earth would I wish to take a stroll with you? Oh I’ll feel so safe with a big manly Shadowhunter plodding along with me, why on earth didn’t I think of that!? No no, this stroll invitation is for Tessa and Tessa alone.”

Tessa lifted her head quickly diverting her eyes away from her breakfast and onto Jessamine as if in shock that the invitation was for her and not one of the boys whom Tessa had assumed Jessamine cared for deeply, even if she wished not to admit it.

“That sounds lovely.” Tessa tried hard to sound appreciative. Though the words came out in a harsh and sarcastic manner.

Will giggled under his breath putting Tessa’s words to shame.

“Well, it’s just as well, Jessamine, that Jem and I have plans today anyway.”

“We do?” Jem’s eyes widened in a fake act of dismay.

“Yes of course we do my dear friend, for we are Shadowhunters we are always busy.”

Jessamine looked down at her food and tried to stifle her laugh.

“Get your coat my grey haired friend, we’re off to local market.”