CHAPTER EIGHT: FREAKING OUT

The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, the article had read in the paragraph where it had advised a good girlfriend to cook for her man. And that was exactly what Rhea had done. Well, cook for him to show him just how bad a cook she was.

And it had worked! For the first time since the whole episode had started, Adam had suddenly grown disheartened and grumpy instead of his usual infuriating enthusiasm. Rhea had given herself a mental high-five when he had practically fled from the kitchen when she had started on her “poor me” self about how she could not even manage to boil a decent pasta.

It had been unbelievably fast and she had never expected her plan to work out so quickly. But it was too early to hope for the best; she would only confirm her theory the next morning when Adam would skip the dreaded morning call. And she could only hope that it never came again.

Of course if it happened that way, she would never raise the subject again and they would be back to being good friends. And then he would eventually get himself another girlfriend. A real one this time. Rhea was finally happy.

When the pizza delivery had come, she had ran upstairs deciding to give him the final blow. The next advice of the ideal girlfriend saga was Be happy, smart and witty. She had wanted to behave like a dimwit before Adam finally defeated would kick her out of his life. Well, his love life.

Rhea wanted to be very much part of his life as his best friend forever. Happy that everything was going on as she had planned, she had knocked on his bedroom door but after three times of no answer, she had opened the door. And had found his body unceremoniously sprawled on bed with his business suit still on.

A pang of guilt had coursed through her as she had caught sight of his tired face. He was so handsome with his shoulder long hair which looked almost golden around the pillow. Rhea had felt bad for putting him through so much; she knew he was busy at work since Uncle Jacob had decided to retire. And Adam was going to be the only one responsible of the Crighton empire.

Their wealth and power intimidated her sometimes but they were very down-to-earth person and Rhea felt humbled to be part of their family. Maybe it was time for her to stop her stupid games. Adam has already worked out that she was not the correct person for her and he would eventually come around.

Feeling somewhat sorry for pestering him, she had removed his shoes and socks slowly so as not to disturb his sleep. He had immediately snuggled his feet upwards and she had approached closer. He could hardly sleep in his business suit and that too on an empty stomach.

So she had shaken him lightly on his shoulder to wake him but he had not even stirred. With much difficulty, Rhea had finally succeeded in pulling off his pants when he had straightened his position on the bed. But the suit had been almost impossible to remove without waking him up since he had been sleeping on his right side.

Deciding not to give up since it would be uncomfortable for him to sleep in his suit, she had waited to catch her breath before trying to remove the left arm. During her task, she had gotten so close to him and when he had moved suddenly, she had nearly stumbled right on him. At the last second, she had managed to steady her body over his and had almost been touching him. For a second, she had frozen expecting him to wake up and catch her in that uncomfortable position.

But his eyes had remained closed and she had found herself perched on his asleep form and so close that she could see every line of his face. He looked so handsome. His jaw was well-chiseled and his nose was the perfect aquiline shape. But his trademark looks were his eyes which were invisible now since they were closed. Rhea felt her heart beat faster at the sight of him close; it was due to her awkward position of course.