Chapter 31: Lucas

“What do you mean, you’re not going?”

“I’m just… I’m not sure it’s a good idea, Jewel.  I’ve been having second thoughts about the Silent Heroes thing.”

“Since when?”

“Since… I don’t know, since all that stuff Danielle said, I guess.”

“You never mentioned anything before.”

“Well, I wanted to give it a fair chance.”

Jewel propped her shoulder against the edge of her sleeping platform and eyed me shrewdly.  I forced myself to look right back at her.  If I looked away, it might clue her in that all my lame excuses were nothing but a bunch of half-baked lies.

“Besides,” I added, inventing wildly now.  “Last time I didn’t exactly slide in under the radar. I mean, what if someone starts putting the pieces together?  What if someone starts to suspect what I really am?”

“Do you think Isaac would be that careless?  Wasn’t it his idea to keep it quiet in the first place?”

“No, that was Deanna.”

“But he agreed to it, didn’t he?”

“Yeah, but-”

“And he’s kept it quiet so far.”

“I know, but-”

“Then what the heck is the problem?”

“I just… I don’t feel like going tonight, okay?  I’m tired.”

“Tired?  First you were having second thoughts, then you were worried about exposing your abilities and now you’re tired.” 

“Well… ah.”

“You’re acting very strange today, Eve.  You know that?”

“Am I?”

“Yeah, you’re all over the place.  And I don’t get why you’re acting all nervous, either.  You don’t have to come to the meeting if you don’t want to.”

“I don’t?”

Jewel rolled her eyes.  “Of course not.  Deanna has a very firm policy on that.  Participation I supposed to be a hundred percent voluntary.  We’re not allow to pressure people into it, and I wouldn’t even if I could.”

I felt a little silly now.  “Sorry, I guess I thought you’d be mad.”

“Why would I be mad, you brick head?  Danielle’s against the Silent Heroes movement all together, and you don’t see me giving her a hard time, do you?”

“No.”

“Then stop worrying so much.  Geez, girl.”  Her eyes shifted to the clock over the bathroom.  “I’d better go.  I’m gonna be late.  Sure you don’t wanna come?”

No, I thought.

“Yes,” I said.

“Okay, I’ll see you later, then.”  She gave me a friendly pound on the shoulder on her way out the door.

----------------------------------------------------

Butterflies danced in my stomach as I made my way down to the bottom floor.  I wasn’t sure what to expect.  Lucas had been pretty vague on the details.  I knew we were going on a date; that was pretty much it.

I made it to the school’s front entrance just in time.  Eight o’clock exactly, according to my watch.  Lucas hadn’t arrived yet, so I parked myself off to one side and tried to look casual.