Fire (Request)

I heard crackling and wondered who was cracking their knuckles in front of my face. When I suddenly couldn't breathe, I knew something was wrong.

My eyes popped open, only to start watering. I looked around, seeing the room around me aflame. Without thought, I screamed. On the way back in, the air combined with smoke, and I coughed for a minute or so before I thought straight.

I found my phone, but it was dead. I got below the smoke line, and started crawling towards my door. I twisted the door handle unthoughtfully, burning my hand a little. It was enough to make me scream once more, but the door opened.

I continued down the hallway, trying to breathe. I had to stop to cough right before I descended the stairs, seeing that they were on fire, too. Heat bombarded me at every side, making me sweat and feel helpless.

"Emily!" I heard someone call. I looked at the bottom of the stairs, seeing Niall. I instantly felt relieved, but I knew I wasn't safe yet.

"Just run down the stairs!" he yelled. I furrowed my eyebrows, nearly coughing up a lung.

"Trust me!" he exclaimed. Of course I trusted him; we had known each other forever, and he was my neighbor. And I may or may not have liked him. That was a minor detail.

"You have to do this! Please!" he exclaimed, reaching his hand out towards me. I stood up with my last ounce of energy, letting out a scream as I bolted down the alight steps, feeling the flames lick my ankles and shins.

His arms caught me as I collapsed, and we got out the front door. My vision went black for a few moments, but then my eyes were just closed.

Light filtered through to my eyes, and I could hear the voices around me.

"Was there anyone else in the house?" I heard a man ask.

"No, sir. She was home alone," Niall relayed to him. I blinked my eyes open, feeling my lungs ache. I began coughing once more, trying to sit up but failing.

"Emily," Niall sighed, taking my hand. "Are you alright?" he asked me. I nodded, not sure about my voice.

"I was coming over because I needed to tell you something, but then I saw the fire, called the police, and ran inside to get you," he explained. I squeezed his hand before hacking again.

"What did you need to tell me?" I wondered, sounding like a smoker. He smiled lightly.

"That...I like you. A lot," he spoke. I froze, only blinking back at him.

"You feel the same way?" I asked in disbelief, wheezing afterwards.

"The same way - you like me?" he clarified. I hesitated, but nodded.

"I have for a long time," I choked out. His whole body relaxed, and I looked at the sky above me. It was early morning, and I saw a few birds fly over.

"Sir, please step away," I heard someone say. They put a breathing mask over my nose and mouth, and I realized I was on a gurney. They lifted me up into the ambulance, and I got a glimpse of my charred house.

The thought did upset me, and my parents would be furious, but I found a reason not to worry anymore. I wasn't upset about the things I had lost in the fire because I gained something, someone, that would last me a lifetime.

.

.

thanks to wild_fire_emily for requesting this! I hope you liked it and sorry for the wait

does your username fit the imagine or

thanks for reading! please leave a comment of what you thought. if you would like an imagine, let me know in the comments as well.

I love you guys! thank you for all of the constant support!

Mel xx