Chapter Seventeen - Burning Pancakes After Singing Songs

Recap

I slowly looked up, to see the video chat was still open and a figure in it. 

It was quiet, I think we were both shocked that she had answered. 

“Hi” she whispered.

Niall’s POV

“Hey” I chocked out, a crooked smile on my face and gave her a small wave. 

It stayed quiet neither of us talking, just looking around our own room and every once in a while glancing at each other through the web cam. 

“Look,” I started to say. “I’m really sorry, I should’ve told you.. but-I-but”

“You didn’t” she finished for me. I nodded my head, biting my lip. I looked at her, watching her for some kind of reaction, but nothing came. 

“Are you mad?” I asked and she looked at me, face blank of emotion. 

“I- I don’t know.” she said. “I might need more time to think about it, I really don’t know what to say, to so, to think... I’m really confused.” she finally said, her eyes watering a little bit. 

“Uhm, can I call you back in a little bit?” I asked, my voice shaking. The last thing she probably wanted me to do was just leave her all alone, but she would understand soon. 

“Uh, sure..” she said, but it came out more like a question. I smiled and waved goodbye, feeling guilty, but she would feel better soon. 

Tanner’s POV

Did he not want to talk to me? Why did he leave? I was already confused enough, and now this was just adding more confused emotions to me. I was a complete mess. 

I sighed, checking the time, seeing that it had already been ten minutes. I closed my laptop and sat on my bed, grabbing the stuffed frog that had once belonged to Logan. 

Flashback

“Tanner! Tanner! Look at the frog!” Logan cried, grasping my hand tighter and pointing the other one towards a medium sized long plush frog hanging from the side of the balloon dart booth, as he jumped up and down. 

I smiled, looking down at Logan, “Do you wanna try and win it?” I asked, with a big grin on my face as Logan’s nodded up and down in excitement. I let go of his hand, digging through my pockets looking for the remaining money I had left that I was given when mom and dad went to get food and told me to stay in the game area with Logan. I looked up at the sign on the booth. 

Three popped balloons = small prize

Six popped balloons = medium prize

Nine popped balloons = large prize

1 Dart = $1

As I look back on it now, I think that wasn’t the best deal, but it was to make Logan happy, and I was young so I wouldn’t have known at that time. 

I took out the one bill I had left, a ten. I handed it to a tall man asking for seven darts, figuring that I would get one extra dart, just incase. A different short man smiled at me, putting them on the table and handing me a stool for Logan to stand on, “Good Luck!” he said, and I smiled.

I placed Logan on the stool and grabbed the darts, handing one of them to Logan. He grinned his dimples showing in his cheeks, as he clutched it in his hand. He threw it, and missed. He turned towards me, a look of confusion on his face, but I had nothing to say because I didn’t understand why it didn’t hit the balloon either.