Halo

Copyright of H M Irwing!

Halo

A story by H M Irwing

Prologue

Darkness was fast approaching. I looked out the window and gazed out at the approaching dusk. I had a few moments more, possibly just a couple of minutes before he returned. I would savour the peace and quiet, so I contentedly ignored the squeaky stillness in the house and concentrated on simply staring out that window at the darkening skies beyond it.  I kept my mind blank from all thoughts that would disturb this peace, this moment of stolen bliss. I looked down at the stub of narcotics in my hand and knew instinctively that this time… this time, I would be caught.

I lifted it to my lips, placing it just right before drawing in a sharp short breath. My concentration was complete on the bliss that would pour through me from that one short gesture. I was reluctant to exhale but I knew I had to and so I did, so slowly, gradually releasing the toxic smoke into a short puffs of air. Then I heaved great big gasps trying to draw in some air. It was difficult but I managed, coughing along as I did. Just as I managed to settle myself down gathering my scattered wits back I had a craving for yet another drought.

A hand came out of nowhere and slapped the cancer stick right out of my unsteady hand. I made a grasping reach for it but I was too slow, those damn things were more potent than I thought. I watched helplessly as the short stub fell to the floor to join its pair and then gasped in horror as a rough shod boot brutally stamped on it. Hammering the last of the sparks out as it stomped repeatedly on the stubs. Then that hand swung towards me, aiming a blow. I could not even duck down as I saw it coming.

My nose was broken I was sure. I clutched at it howling like a kid in pain. For that was what I was a twelve year old kid in pain. I lifted my hand away to check and sure enough it was red with blood. That had me howling even more. The bliss from the stub was forgotten as again that hand rammed into me this time knocking me to the floor. I clutched at my stomach with one hand and held my nose together with the other and howled in pain as furious tears poured out of my eyes.

"You f-ing arsehole you broke my nose!" I yelled out stupidly and earned myself several more kicks, one that broke a rib I was sure.

"Finish the job damn, you! Is it not enough you put my mother in her grave? Why stop with her when you can finish me off as well?" I yelled again stupidly and the kicks I received from that sent me off to join that darkness that shrouded the house.

Night had finally fallen.