Chapter 38

Sorry this chapter was so late! Explanations for the delay will be at the bottom! Enjoy!

Chapter 38

The Hungarian Horntail

It was about two and a half days before the first task and Harriet was beginning to panic. To make matters worse, Hermione had been forcing her to relearn every spell she had ever been taught and she couldn’t get all them right. Her stress level was steadily rising and she had no idea what the first task was going entail.

Well, that was, until the Weasley twins came barreling into the common room, faces flushed and hair in all different directions. Harri raised an eyebrow at their disheveled states.

“What happened to you two?” Harri asked putting her wand down and leaving Hermione, who huffed angrily as Harri left her studies to talk to the twins. 

“We found out what the first task is!”

“We heard Hagrid talking to Charlie in the forest last night and we decided to follow them in the forest and we saw four dragons!”

“One for each champion!”

Both of them were quickly finishing each others sentences, completely out of breath by the end. They slowly watched Harri’s expression change from one of curiosity to one of horror.

“You’re telling me that the first task is to fight a dragon...” Harri said slowly and the two nodded apprehensively, waiting for her to explode. “Hermione, I think we’re going to need to go to the library, but I have to call Sirius first.”

Harri ran to her room and slammed the door behind her, locking it with a charm. She dove for the mirror under her bed and grabbed it, she said Sirius’ name, his face appeared moments later.

“Bambi, is something wrong?” he asked concerned, seeing a panicked look in her green eyes.

“The first task is to fight a dragon...they’re making us fight dragons, Sirius! I don’t know what I’m going to do,” she mumbled hopelessly.

“Bambi, calm down. You’re a great witch, and now you have the advantage against the other competitors, use that to your advantage! You’re brilliant with transfigurations and you can fly better than your father! Surely, between you, Hermione, Draco and the twins, you can come up with something...” he told her soothingly. Harri nodded and sighed. There was no point in having a panic attack, yet.

They spoke quietly for a few minutes, but Sirius was called away and he had to go, which seemed to be happening more often recently. Harri figured that the ministry was keeping him busy.

She bid her godfather goodbye and went back downstairs, only to find that Hermione had left to go to the library. Harri rolled her eyes at her friend’s behavior and slowly made her way to the library. 

As she was walking she saw Cedric leaning against the wall, reading a rather large book on charms. Harri smiled, he seemed to be studying just as hard as she was for this competition. Then her smile turned into a frown, she might have had an advantage, but Cedric didn’t and Harri would bet her broom that the other competitors already knew about the dragons already.

“Cedric,” Harri called from the other side of the hallway. The hufflepuff’s head popped up and he grinned when he noticed that it was Harri. He waved to her and made his way over to talk to her.

“Hello, Harri. Is there something that I can do for you?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.

“The task is dragons...” Harri said suddenly, confusing him.