Chapter Twenty Four

Christmas Eve

Imogen stirred the pan of hot mulled wine and cinnamon sticks with a wooden spoon smiling contentedly to herself, she hadn't felt this happy in a long time, maybe even forever. Arsenal were top of the league, her family and friends were all round at her flat for a pre-Christmas get together, the shop had had its best festive season yet and Charlie loved her. She sighed and lifted the wooden spoon to her mouth to taste her concoction, it was ready so she poured glasses for her parents, Daisy, Sam, Jess and Matt.

"I still don't get this, you're saying you and Charlie weren't really dating before, but you are now?" Her mother still couldn't come to terms with the fact that she and Charlie had been faking before, she handed out the glasses of hot drink and took a sip from her own, letting the warmth slide down her throat.

"Yes, we made a deal with each other to pretend we were dating, but then we fell in love with each other. He's completely changed since school, he's kind and funny and loving and I'm happy, okay. So just accept it for what it is now, please mother." She looked at her mother who opened her mouth to say something but thought about it and closed it again forcing a smile.

"Well I like Charlie and he does seem to really love you." Her father moved to stand next to her and put his arm around her shoulder, she smiled up at him.

"Well you'll have beautiful children, he is very handsome." Imogen cringed at her mother, why were parents always embarrassing and her mother was one of the worst culprits.

"Oh God, Mother! Do not mention me and Charlie marrying or having children you'll scare him off and I want to keep him forever." Behind her she heard footsteps coming up the stairs and turned to see Charlie coming through the door followed by his mum, Molly and Adam. Catherine and Harry were at home with baby Lucy, it had only been a week since she was born and the two of them were still getting used to being new parents.

Releasing her father, she wandered over to Charlie and kissed him gently on the lips not caring that everyone was probably staring at the two of them. When it came to Charlie she no longer cared what anybody thought, it was just the two of them; everybody else paled into insignificance when he was around. "Jeez, get a room!" Daisy shouted from her seat on the sofa and everyone laughed, she pulled back and looked into Charlie's eyes.

"Hi."

"Hi." If there hadn't been anybody around she'd have kissed him again and told him how much she missed him. Instead she pulled away from him and greeted Molly, Adam and Marie; asking if they wanted a mulled wine with everyone else. Charlie went to pour the drinks from the pan that was warming on her stove. Imogen walked back into the living room followed by the new guests who were now holding mugs of steaming wine.

"Mum, this is Marie, Charlie's mum; Molly his younger sister and her boyfriend Adam. Marie, Molly, Adam, this is my mum Carole, dad Ian and my sister Daisy and her husband Sam." She pointed each out as she said their names allowing all of them to say hello to each other. Molly stepped up next to her and smiled coyly.

"He's not my boyfriend anymore," She pulled her left hand up cradling a diamond ring on her ring finger. "He proposed two days ago." Imogen gasped as she looked at the ring, it was beautiful with a large heart shaped diamond attached to a thin gold band.

"No way, oh I'm so happy for you." She smiled as Adam came over and kissed his fiancé on the lips, looking at her like she was the only thing in the world. Charlie came and stood next to her pulling her into his warmth, she snuggled against his waist and rested her head on his shoulder.

"Well it might not be long until these two get engaged as well." Both Charlie and Imogen froze as everyone turned to look at them, Marie who had made the comment smiled at them both. "Mother!" Everybody laughed as Charlie shook his head at his mum, but soon he was laughing too. Imogen looked around the room at all her family and friends, laughing and smiling and chatting to each other; she was definitely the happiest she'd ever been.

Finally her eyes rested on Charlie who was looking at her as well. "You okay?" He asked a little concerned, she gave one last glance to everybody else in the room and replied: "Never been better." Smiling she raised her face to his and kissed him like she would be doing from now on.

The End