Chapter Two

When Brighton appeared in the kitchen, her eyes burning, and her head crunchy and heavy as if chunks of cement grated around inside it, Ian laughed hysterically.

“What, dare I ask, is so funny?” The sun was too bright against the polished stainless steel in the state-of-the-art kitchen.

“What did you do to Kira? I thought a girls night out meant cocktails, dinner, maybe shopping or a show. Gabbing…”

“Oh, there were cocktails.”

“Obviously,” Ian said, sipping his coffee.

Brighton poured herself a cup and then went for a glass of water instead.

“You went to a rock club? Followed by a techno club? That was the most I could get out of Kira this morning, aside from a desperate plea for water and aspirin.”

“You know my mother and Baskia,” Brighton said as if that was all the explanation necessary.

“Claire’s not hung over.”

“No, of course not. She’s just the perpetrator. She got us the tickets. I’m sure Baskia is still passed out. Man, she can party.”

“So I hear. I’m sure Anne’s not pleased about that.”

“Aunt Anne is never pleased about anything. But keep it to yourself,” Brighton said, knowing how truthful her cousin could be.

“I can’t say the bachelor party was as crazy.”

Brighton shook her head and then shut her eyes, instantly regretting the jarring motion. “Baskia insisted on bringing us to some stupid club. I can tell you with certainty that I will not be drinking beer, champagne, or whatever else ended up in my hand last night ever again. But, things did get pretty mushy.”

“Do you mean hazy, because you drank a tub of hundred proof alcohol?”

“No, I mean Kira really loves you.”

Ian grinned, his face suddenly serene, yet luminous. “I love her,” he sighed, “so, so much.”

“How do you know?” Brighton asked clumsily before she could stop herself.

“I know because I’d offer her my very last breath if it made her happy. Because the sound of her laugh is like music, it gets into my veins and makes me feel alive. I knew I loved her when I would do anything to take her unhappiness away. I’d cross this country on foot if it meant being with her. I’d—”

“Ok, ok. I get it. That almost sounds as bad as one of the pickup lines I heard last night.”

“Ha ha. I guess the secret is, with Kira, there’s no one else. There’s just her and me, and if we were the only two people left on earth that would be ok.”

“That sounds morbid. Let’s stick with a desert island scenario.”

“There can be deserts in our hearts and end-of-the-world scenarios even when we’re in a room full of people, but when you find that one person, they pull you from that place into their orbit; it’s sunny and warm, there’s plenty to do, and you feel full and alive. Then you have each other and know that whatever you do, you’ll do it together.”

Ian’s words carried Brighton away on a wave of reflection before her pounding head cut it short. “I always thought you were a doofy-surfer, but you’ve got depth.” She looked down into her mug, shying away from her emotive honesty. She took a sip of coffee, taking the edge off her headache, but doing nothing for her stomach. “Uh oh, gotta go. Hope Kira’s better off than me,” she said, hurrying back to her room.