three

d a y  t h r e e

goodness, avery. i’m glad you came today. you haven’t stopped by since wednesday.

I told you. Avery placed her things on the purple couch. If things don’t go well with the talking thing, I’m not going to come back.

well, why did you change your mind?

I didn’t, she said. I promised to come by on Saturday and it’s Saturday today, isn’t it?

I like keeping promises. It’s important to keep promises.

that’s right, avery. well, it’s great that you kept yours because there is someone here that i would like you to meet.

Okay. She sat beside her things and waited patiently.

here he is. avery, this is james. james, this is avery.

Hi. Avery stood up immediately and gave an awkward wave. She felt the urgent need to leave. 

go on, step outside for a bit and take a walk.

I- okay. Yes, okay, she said, feeling slightly nauseous.

“So, uh..” Avery tried to find the right words to say. “Wha– yeah okay, I can’t do this. Bye.”

“Wait! Don’t walk away!” James blurted out. “No, wait. Sorry for yelling.”

“Please don’t try to make me feel better,” Avery said. “It won’t work.”

“Stop.”

“What?”

“Come back,” James said. “I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have to be sorry.” Avery furrowed her brows. “You didn’t do anything.”

“I know.”

“Why are you talking to me?” Avery asked, walking by his side.

“What do you mean?” He shoved his hands in his pockets and looked at Avery although not quite meeting her eye.

“People don’t talk.” She ran a hand through her hair.

“People talk, Avery.”

“Not to me.”