Chapter 18

When Ram woke up he saw Tashi lying on the floor unconscious. No one else was there. He was confused. Why would Fergox lock us in a room together? He quickly went over to Tashi and tried to wake her up.

She woke up and Ram hugged her tightly. He never wanted to let her go.

They looked around and saw that they were in a square room with no doors or windows. Just blank walls.

“Are you alright Tashi?” Ram asked.

“Yes,” she said with a weak smile. “Yes I am. Are you doing well?”

“Yes, I’m fine,” Ram answered.

“Why are we here?” she asked. “And where are the others?”

“I don’t know. I woke up and there was just you,” Ram answered.

“Why would Fergox put us together in a room?” Tashi asked.

“That’s exactly what I was thinking,” Ram said.

“Well there’s nothing to do but wait. Let’s talk about something else,” Tashi said brightly.

Ram smiled at her and she beamed back. “I promise you that we will get out of here.”

“I know we will,” Tashi answered. “What shall we talk about?”

“I really want to know more about you. When we get out of here, we will get married to join our countries together and I want to know more about you before we get married. I think that it’s best if we know about one another first,” Ram said.

“Yes,” Tashi said smiling. “Well I was born in a little village in Kai. My father died when I was quite young. I didn’t know him that well but my mother never let us forget him. Then my mother fell very ill. My brother and I looked after her all the time, we didn’t always have the money to buy the medicine she needed and one day I found out that we were too late. She was dying; she was too far into her illness to treat it now.” Tears started rolling down her cheeks. “So she wrote letters. She labelled each one with our name and the time we should open each letter. She put them in boxes and gave them to us. A few days later, she was gone and we were sent to live with her brother, Uncle Harry. The letters always come in handy. She gives us advice on what to do when we have no idea what will happen. The last one I read was labelled ‘Your fiancé.’” She looked up to see his eyes deeply absorbed into the conversation.

“You don’t have to tell me what it said, it was written by your mother for you and it’s your choice who you want to share it with,” Ram said. He reached out and held her hand.

“Thank You. I probably will tell you one day,” she said.