Chapter Seven - How to Overcome Writer's Block

If there's one question I constantly get asked, it's from authors who struggle with writer's block asking me how I deal with it. The short answer is that I've never had writer's block, nor am I an expert on the subject.

I understand how frustrating it can be, but in not having it, I can sort of reverse engineer why I don't get it, and make generalizations about why others may get it.

So speaking in general terms, I think writer's block is a symptom of one of the following categories:

1. Planning

2. Motivation

3. Focus

4. Momentum

Sometimes it's hard to find the time to write when you have other obligations such as work, school, or family. It can be tough to find motivation and maintain momentum, especially with so many other distractions competing for your attention and limited resources, but it can be done.

In this post, I'll discuss some common resistance author's (and others) tend to face and what you can do to overcome writer's block.

1. NOT PROPERLY PLANNING

In my videos and , I speak extensively about my planning process. For me, I think of writing a novel in several stages. I spend months and months planning and outlining before I even begin writing. When I actually sit down to write, I'm not spending a lot of time thinking about how the story will unfold — most of those details would have already been worked out.

So when you hit a writer's block, it's because you may be attempting to do two things instead of one. Your brain may be better served focused on one task at a time.

Plan, then write.

2. MOTIVATION

Look, this one may be a little uncomfortable to hear, but if this applies to you, then this advice could ultimately help you.

I believe like anything in life, if you want something badly enough, then you'll find away to do it and not be dissuaded by obstacles or excuses. If you don't have the thing or aren't where you want to be, it's most likely because you don't really want it bad enough and you're not prepared to work for it. This doesn't apply to everything in life, but as a general rule I believe it holds true.

If you really want to write, I'm talking really want it. It's all you think about, it's all you talk to your friends about, you're teeming with ideas, you can't wait to stop doing whatever thing that is getting in the way of your writing, then you will write.

If you don't write, it may because you don't really want it bad enough. Or dare I say, you may not be cut out for it. Again, sorry if this resonates with you and you weren't ready to face this reality, but I think the sooner you come to terms with this truth, the sooner you can dedicate your life to your true calling or passion.

I've met a lot of pretenders in my life and writing isn't that easy to fake. If you don't practice, you will be discovered for what you really are. You can dress the part, talk the part, put "writer" in your Twitter and Instagram bios, but if you don't love it and practice regularly, people can tell. You may be able to fool some people, but real writers will not be fooled.

I can't really tell you any secrets to motivation other than if you want something badly enough, you'll find the time to do it. Otherwise, you may need to be honest with yourself and re-evaluate whether writing, or whatever it is you need motivation for, is really something worth pursuing.

Eric Thomas has a great quote, he says, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." Steven Pressfield also addresses this in his book, The War of Art, where he discusses the concept of resistance. If you like something, but not enough to find time to do it, you may need to just move on.