Redemption of a Haunted Man

Prologue

Peter MacDuff stood in silent observation, half hidden in the shadows. Such was his stillness that people had passed within inches of him unaware of his presence. He moved silently among the shadows, like a phantom or apparition silently, not showing himself until he was ready. A chameleon that faded into the background once a task was completed, his intense gaze and sharp, acute hearing missing nothing. In another life he might have worked in espionage or intelligence. He watched, making mental notes as the waiters moved among the guests. Evaluating and assessing the service being provided.

He was a quiet man, softly spoken and of few words. Why waste time with flowery phrases, why use ten words when three would do? Many would say that his northern tones and quiet manner indicated a lack of intelligence or education. They would be wrong. Peter MacDuff had a shrewd, calculating and enquiring mind. It was wise for people to remember this and not underestimate him. Everything about him was calm and measured. His movements were small and precise and without embellishment. There were no grand gestures. He was not impulsive by nature; all his words and actions were carefully considered. Peter did nothing before first thinking things through.

People who had known him for years struggled to describe him; many would say he was of average height and build, an ordinary man. Peter MacDuff was 6ft 2, broad shouldered and long limbed. Truth be told he worked hard at the illusion of being nondescript he liked it that way. In this business there were enough prima donnas. Chefs were volatile, temperamental, given to violent mood swings. Peter avoided the theatre that was the kitchen, there was too much play acting, too much drama. Peter's world was front of house, like a stage hand, he made sure that the artist's work was displayed at its best.

It would surprise people to know that Peter was not without vanity. His suits might be plain charcoal greys or black, but they were made to measure at an exclusive tailor. How else would a man of his size get the fit across the shoulders and the length of the sleeves correct? His shirts again, though plain and unadorned, were always made of pure cotton or linen. Discreet, plain gold or silver cuff links were just visible at the cuffs. His ties, though simple and muted, were always perfectly knotted and made of woven silk. His vanity was not just restricted to his clothes; his hair was cut and styled at a top salon, not some back street barber. Like the restaurant he worked in the façade was expensive.

Intuitive by nature, Peter MacDuff had excellent people skills, reading facial expressions and body language with practiced ease. He could see potential problems with customers, and moved to solve them often before they were voiced. He anticipated what the diners wanted, and made sure the staff provided it. MacDuff trained waiters enhanced the dining experience, they did not detract from it. Like now a regular customer was ready to order another drink. Peter stepped forward coming out of the shadows. He caught the attention of the waiter for that table indicating that the man was ready to order and then moved a little further round the room hidden once more in shadows. His intuition and instincts made him a good judge of character, a useful attribute to possess when interviewing or assessing colleagues. Duncan recognised this early in their working relationship, and rarely made an appointment without consulting him first. In fifteen years he had only made one appointment without first seeking Peter's opinion.

Duncan Docherty had been a small time chef when he had first met Peter MacDuff. Even now, Peter wondered how they had become friends; the loud, extrovert Irish man and the quiet, serious Yorkshire man.

Peter had been eating at Duncan's restaurant with his new girlfriend Fiona. When they had finished their meal Peter had asked to speak to the chef. Fiona had been horrified when he had, in his quiet, uncomplicated way, pointed out that the service, layout and standards in the restaurant were ruining the amazing food. Then Peter shrewdly offered his services as headwaiter claiming he could increase the restaurant revenue by 25% just by improving the standard of waiter service. Duncan had looked at the eighteen year old Peter and laughed. Peter then played his trump card; he was prepared to invest in the business! He knew Duncan was looking for an investor, and, having come into a recent inheritance, he was in a position to offer financial assistance. Duncan had looked at Peter with respect; this was no chance meeting, and the young man had obviously planned it. Peter had suggested a three month trial. If in that time the restaurant revenue increased he would invest £50,000 for a 25% stake in the business. Fifteen years later they remained not just partners but friends.