KILLING ME SOFTLY - Teenage Assassin - Chapter 24

CHAPTER 24:

ANNABELLE'S POV:

Even though Gabriel's words hurt, I put on a brave face. I force my mouth to smirk, "Do you really want to hurt me?"

The arms he has wrapped around me squeeze, as he nods his head, "Yes."

Despite my efforts, my brave face falls and my voice cracks, "I love you, Gabriel."

He squeezes harder, picks me up off the floor and flings me onto the couch. Since I had no warning that I wasn't about to be flung, I do not land gracefully, but instead with an, "Umph!"

Okay.

Before I've regained my composure and an erect position, he's hovering over me. When I glance into his eyes, I see such a mixture of emotions. Yes, hate. Yes, anger. But something else is still there. I'm convinced of it. Love . . .

If only I could have gotten it back before it was too late.

I can tell that he's trembling with indecision. He wants to hurt me and he wants to love me. I may not be all that experienced with love, but I know hate and anger. And I know Gabriel.

I reach a hand up slowly to cup his face. He flinches and I flinch in response. He really thinks that I'm a monster.

"You still love me don't you, Gabriel?" As soon as the words are out of my mouth, he pulls back as if I slapped him.

Then he slaps me. Hard dammit! I'm warring with emotions myself. On one hand, I'm royally pissed that he just hit me. On the other, maybe in some way I deserve it. Although his dad deserved to die, Gabriel never deserved to be hurt so badly in the process.

I'm cupping my own face, where I know there must be a large red mark. "Maybe I should take that as a 'no'."

"I'm not going to be sorry that I hit you," He says harshly. Sounds like he's trying to convince himself more than me.

I finally look up into his face, "You know what, Gabriel? Just forget about it." I motion from him to me, "This, whatever it is between us, is over anyways."

I start to stand up, and he tries to block me with his forearm. I grab it and have him on the floor in seconds. He lands on his back and his breath momentarily leaves his body. Before he can sit up, I'm on top of him, straddling his waist and arms, with is arms pinned beneath my thighs.

I put my hands on either side of his face and my face in his. He looks both startled and aroused. Then, very softly, "Gabriel, I really do love you. I think a part of you still loves me too. The stupid teenage girl in me had hope for us. The woman in me knows that it's over."

He starts to speak, "Ann-"

I place a palm over his mouth, "Shh, Gabriel. Let me finish." Once he nods, I continue, "Like I was saying, I love you. I had hoped that we'd be able to get past . . . the past. But, I'm not a normal teenage girl. I'm not even a normal woman. One thing that I know we can't get past, that I can't get past . . ."

I hold off for dramatic effect. True, what I'm saying it completely real. My feelings are no game. However, I'm an assassin, an actress of the real world. I want Gabriel to remember this moment for the rest of his life. I want the end of us to make a lasting impression on him. I know that it's made a lasting impression on me. I'll never forget Gabriel and I'll never forget my love for him.

He is trying to say something, but it's muffled by my hand on his mouth. I remove it and he looks confused, unsure. "What, Anna? What can't you get past?"