Chapter 27 - There's a First Time For Everything

Hogwarts had exploded with Halloween spirit; bright orange pumpkins were carved into with great detail, taking on the features of various famous witches and wizards. In the Great Hall, the tables were overflowing with sweets, both muggle and magic.

Gizelle had been there, waiting for the feast to begin, since half past four. She was the first to be seated and was usually the last to leave. Halloween was, in her opinion, the best day of the year. It triumphed all other holidays and was the sole reason that she had dragged herself out of her warm bed this Sunday morning.

The Great Hall was filled to capacity now and it was positively buzzing. Hands flew to and from the delectable treats at lightning speed. The first casualty of the night, a sugar coma, momentarily disturbed the feasting, but the students slid down the bench to fill the space and the onslaught continued.

Thirty minutes later and the Great Hall was silent. As head boy and girl, James and Lily were tasked with making sure that all of the students made it safely back to their dormitories. They were relaying information to Remus about taking the recovering first years to Gryffindor tower when Leesha King approached their discussion, parting them like the red sea and heading straight for Peter.

“You tosspot!” She shrieked, grabbing the nearest object to her, a goblet of pumpkin juice, “You promised you’d meet me in the common room!” Peter had but a second for his jaw to drop before receiving the full extent of her fury; a face full of sticky, fragrant juice. It sloshed down his face, leaving trails of pumpkin pulp as thick drops fell off of his chin.

Gizelle looked back and forth between Leesha and Peter. His face resembled an Oompa Loompa, but not a word was spoken in that regard. In fact, no one was speaking at all, but Leesha still stood in front of him, breathing heavily and waiting for a response. Dumbfounded, Peter only managed to gasp, pulling his soaking robes away from his torso. Not being one for uncomfortable silences, Gizelle took it upon herself to intervene.

She stood up from her seat and lifted her hands to the enchanted ceiling. “He’s melting!” she cried, shrinking back onto the bench and crumpling into a pile on the table. Peaking her eye open, she found an unamused Peter staring back at her and a slew of others with their faces caught in their hands, writhing from second hand embarrassment.

This seemed to breathe life back into Leesha, who let out an exasperated gargle and then stormed out of the Great Hall.

“Good one,” Sirius snickered.

“Right,” Gizelle retorted, “what was I supposed to do then?”

“Possibly let it resolve itself?” Eva suggested, smiling along with Sirius.

“He was dying out there; I had to do something,” and as an afterthought she added, “Sorry, Pete.”

“I’m sure he’s very thankful,” Sirius conceded.

“She’s barking mad,” Peter said, grabbing a tissue from the middle of the table.

“Anyway, I’ve got to get going,” she hoisted herself from her seat, holding onto her sweet filled stomach.

“Didn’t realize you were expecting,” Hannah chortled, gesturing to her expanded abdomen.

“Her name’s Penny,” she replied lovingly, drawing circles over the fabric.

Sirius chuckled, “Where are you and Penny off to then?”

“Transfiguration tutoring with Benjy,” she said casually as she slung her bag over her shoulder.

He groaned, “Another lesson? You two are joined at the hip lately… people might start to talk.”

Gizelle shot him a look. “As if it should bother you,” she answered coldly.