Chapter Eleven

E-D-I-T-E-D !!!!

Chapter Eleven

I don’t scream. I don’t move. I don’t speak. I was too scared to anything other than stare at the piece of paper. By the looks of it Jesse was doing the same thing as me—nothing. We were too shocked to do anything. Jesse was the first to move.

He turns around to look at me and sighs. “We need rules.” He says.

“What kind of rules?” I ask. I was confused, why would we need rules?

“Ground rules. This kind of stuff seems to be happening a lot lately, so we need to state what we can and can’t do.” He says slowly like he was deciding something.

“By judging on the information we got, I have a pretty good idea what needs to happen.” He continued. Considering on how bright he is—or rather how not bright he is—he came up with some pretty good rules and ideas.

Rule #1: Never be alone, have someone always with you, no matter where you are. (Which this rule was understandable because when you’re alone you are most vulnerable. But for someone to ‘always’ with you is kind of hard. Like when you sleep and when you have to shower.)

Rule #2: Don't acknowledge their presence or you'll give them the satisfaction of them scaring you. (This was going to be hard considering the depression Jesse and I feel every time a ghost is in fifty foot radius of us but we were going to have to learn to hide it.)

Rule #3: Always, and I mean Always have a crucifix with you no matter where you are. (I don’t think demon like crucifixes that much anyway)

Rule #4: Pray every night, every day, when you eat, and when you sleep. Keep faith. (That’s a lot of praying. I was never a religious person myself but I guess demons don’t like God that much either.)

Rule #5: Don't let them get to you. They'll destroy your sanity and everything you believe in. They'll break you down in till your nothing. (The funny thing is that they already got to me and already started destroying my sanity. It’s not much longer in till I am nothing.)

Rule #6: Lastly, don't be afraid (Ha ha.)

“Well Jesse, we have a pretty good list of rules here.” We were now sitting in my walk in closet searching for my crucifix.

“Yeah I can be smart when I want to. Don’t let my hair judge my smartness.” He says. I roll my eyes and smile.

“You’re still not as smart as me, blondie. So did you find it yet?” I ask him. He shakes his head.

“But I did find some Barbies with their limbs facing the wrong way. You were really angry as a child, weren’t you?” He raises an eyebrow. I smile sheepishly.

“Barbies were too perfect for my taste, so I had to do something to make them imperfect.” I tell him. I hated Barbies with their stupid blonde hair and their stupid big, plastic boobs.

“Athena, that doesn’t mean you rip out their arms and legs and put them on backwards. That’s just cruel; how come you couldn’t like draw on them or something that doesn’t involve violence?” He asks. I laugh a little as a dig through a random drawer. I pull out a golden chain with a crucifix hanging from it. Bingo!

“I found it!” I yell excitedly.

“Good for you.” He said back not looking at me.

“Jesse, that means that you can stop looking through my stuff.” I told him. He was still going through my things.

“But everything is so interesting.” He wines. That reminds me of last night when Emery trespassed in my room.

“So am I the first boy that’s ever been in your room?” He sits down next to me.