Chapter 4

That awkward moment when you get caught eavesdropping. Like a deer caught in headlights, I stared at him with my eyes wide and my stance frozen.

Few seconds later, my mouth starts working. "Hi. Everyone is waiting on you."

Slowly he tilts his head,  crosses his arms and narrows his eyes on me as if surveying. 

Alpha. He was obviously not talking about isometric compounds, or the first letter of the Greek alphabet. The only other explanation my theoretical brain came up with was that "alpha" was some sort of police talk.

Like code for Boss. 

A while ago, Trent and I watched a action/thriller about a rogue SWAT member. The rogue's teammates addressed him as "Alpha" because he was the strong and assertive leader of the group.

That's probably what this was all about. Leo got a call from his boss.

Alpha Grey. I imagine an old man with a nasty scar across his face. Add a hook for a hand and he could be a pirate too.

But why was Leo telling him about my family? My sister and I in particular...He told the person on the phone that Gran had put the flag up too. Chills ran down my back as I thought of horrible scenarios. Why the hell was this town so creepy? 

Get a hold of yourself; you're being over paranoid. I'm starting to sound as crazy as this cracked-up town.

"We shouldn't keep them waiting." I say avoiding eye contact, because I really didn't want him to question me about having heard his phone call.

He grabs my wrist before I walk away. "Did you hear anything?"

Shit, too late. 

I pull my wrist back and glare at him mockingly. "Did I just get assaulted by an officer?"

He flinches. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to grab you like that. But, I'd appreciate it if you answer my question."

Trying my best to sidestep the topic, I say, "If you're telling me you hear dead people, I'm seriously going to slap you silly. Legends, beasts and now ghosts! I don't want to listen to you anymore."

It's like he doesn't know how to handle me. He clears his throat. "I mean...did you hear what I said on the phone?"

I tilt my head to the side, to act clueless. "What are you talking about?"

He studies me for a few seconds as if trying to find some sort of clue on my face.

At first I thought the pounding in my brain was the sound of my heart losing oxygen from holding my breath, but then I realized the noise was Gran doing, what sounded like, cartwheels upstairs. Gran's footsteps were always loud, even at night when she walked across the hallway to the restroom. I don't understand why she does that when she has a one in her bedroom.

"What was that?" Leo looked at the ceiling.

"Giant possum..." I lied.

Note to self: I owe Gran for that well timed distraction.

"What?"

"I'm kidding." I tug on his shoulder. "Come on, the food's possibly already cold."

This time he follows and soon as we get to the dining table, I see the chicken completely torn apart like a group of wild animals had attached it. Everyone one was engrossed with his or her meal and conversation to notice us sit down.

Vincent and Charlotte sat looking at each other happily enjoying one another's company. Trent and Robert were talking about medical herbs, much to my surprise. My little brother participating in intellectual conversation, using big and serious words—I was speechless. Mom and Debbie laughed every minute about something that didn't sound amusing.