Secret Master

Secrecy…

An easy word that normally conjures up many images.  Some of these images are whimsical, like that of our first young love being discussed with a trusted friend.  Or it could be that of the mystery writers like Agatha Christie or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in which the imagination is made to excite while allowing our feelings to be kept silent towards others as to the outcome so as not to “give away the ending or plot.”  Or that of a new project we are personally undertaking in order to improve ourselves, that we do in silence, so our feelings can’t be hurt or muddled by others who do not understand.  And of course that of governmental intrigues that the various intelligence communities’ work under for our benefit that should it become public, may cause harm to innocents.

While the basic concept of secrecy is relatively easy to understand, I cannot seem to get a couple of scenarios out of my mind every time I read the title of the 4th degree, Secret Master.

The First Scenario…

This is the one where I see a Brother Mason receive a new level of knowledge, and the rank of that distinction, but is now entrusted with the concept that he is unable to discuss it outside the Order.   By this definition, he is now under a form of testing as to how well he can hold back information that is of interest to him, and could quite possibly be of interest to others, when asked what he did over the weekend.   Feeling the need to be quiet about what he did places him in a position out side of his work group.  While this is an extreme idea, it does imply a whimsical concept that many buy into and that many outsiders throw out as to why we are dangerous or are less than desirable in relation to other groups in the community.  We can hold onto secrets.

A newly made Entered Apprentice Mason also goes through this when first brought into the Order.  He is told that what he has been taught is a secret and that it shouldn't be discussed with anyone other then a Brother Mason.  Sadly, they rarely state what can be discussed, as they, the elder members, don’t know themselves.   What no one explains to him is that the lessons he learns is really about him and that that is the secret.

This concept can possibly be best described in relation to the workplace.  How many times has a new employee been hired for what appears to be no known reason and placed in a position of authority where no similar position had been held before.  Only the principals to the hiring are involved in the rational behind it, including the one hired and then only the minimal amount of information, at that, is given to the new employee.  This usually causes unrest and unease among workers in relation to this situation.  Having been in this situation myself and having to keep this type of secret, I can relate to it.  It is a form of secrecy that can be extremely negative to all involved.  Harmony is lost and production is to say the least is impaired.   Morale is lost as this lack of harmony and trust continues to permeate the workplace.

Is morale lost for the new 4th degree mason? No!  We are dealing within a different realm in which one grows with the new knowledge that is presented.  But then we also must remember that what ever has been taught must also be learned which is decidedly harder as the requirements are not specifically laid out but is alluded to as our own special journey within our selves.  And allusions to an idea are exactly that and not many have been taught the lost art of reading nuance and inflection.  And the allusion in and of itself is a secret form of information transmission, much as information was transmitted in the time of the famous mystery schools of the ancient world.