PART THIRTY-TWO

My mind was still caught on those words. My eyes lowered to his neck and I couldn't help but wonder what his blood tasted like.

Was it sweeter?

More powerful?

Was it even edible?

I didn't know but I struggled to pull my mind away from that place, to grasp anything that wasn't the image of me sinking my teeth into his pretty throat.

"That sounds dangerous," I said at last, my mouth felt awfully dry. I needed to speed this meeting up and get something to eat. Pronto. "Is this why you wanted to meet? To save my soul? 'Cause I'm good on the whole soul front, so you can go ahead and call your hunter friends off."

"Actually," he said, sounding hesitant. "There's something else."

"Of course there is...." I mumbled to myself.

"It's going to sound a little crazy," he warned.

"Crazy?" I repeated. "I was turned into a blood sucking vampire, I'm pretty sure I can handle crazy."

He nodded, causing a stray lock of dirty blonde hair to fall over his forehead. "I can't tell you the full story here, just in case someone is listening in." Reed took a moment to glance around, looking rather paranoid. "But you have my number and we can organise to meet in another location, maybe at my house, now that we've established we aren't actively trying to kill each other. I...I don't quite know how to say this, but my daughter is in trouble and I need your help to save her."

"What? As in, fight? I think you'd be better off getting someone more qualified. I'm not exactly trained yet. I mean I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole not going to the bathroom thing." I realised that was probably too much information the moment it left my lips, but still, my mouth continued moving. "I mean, we go, we just don't go for all movements. Anyway, um, more to the point—I just don't think I'm the best choice."

Reed stepped a little closer. "It has to be you," he said, holding my gaze as he spoke. "It was prophesied that you save my daughter, Helena Callahan."

"Pr—prophe—what?" I couldn't speak.

"Yes, The Prophecy. It's well known amongst both our kinds."

Instantly, my eyes turned to slits. "Oh my God! That's why you helped me, isn't it? It had nothing to do with my safety, you just wanted to keep me out of harm's way, so I could fulfil your stupid prophecy and save your daughter! That was your motive behind all of it, even that ridiculous soul restoration crap!"

I didn't understand why it felt as though cold water had been thrown on top of me, but suddenly, I just wanted to go back to the Turner house and curl up into a little ball. I wasn't hurt, per se, just disappointed. I thought he cared for the sake of caring and not because he wanted something in return, but I should have known better. Nothing in this world ever came without a price.

"No, it wasn't like that," he claimed.

"It's exactly like that, Reed. At least have the common decency to be honest about it!" I snapped. "You drove me home because you knew what roamed these streets, and you were so damn scared that I would turn into a monster and ruin your precious little prophecy!" I looked at him with an evil sneer. "You said it yourself, that I would be horrified by the lengths you'd go to in order to save your daughter, and I see that extent now. You were right. Absolutely right. And now I am the monster you feared I would become and you, you are nothing more than a beast."

"Helena—"

"Undo my cuffs." I gritted my teeth. "Now!"

He didn't even budge. "Just hear me out the same way I heard you out." His expression was pleading. "I admit that I did want to get to know you because of the prophecy, but it's not what you think because—" His sapphire eyes lifted to the spot behind me.