Where Loyalties lie

YO! My first post since coming home! ^.^* I hope you all like it!!!  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If time were a person, right now they would be dragging themselves through thick deep mud while being weighed down my shackles and cinderblocks. Time was dragging himself so slowly by it seemed to rest and pause for the longest breaks of time to catch his breath before struggling forward again.

I felt like the next two monthes that went by seemed so sickeningly slow that I almost broke down choking on the thick mud restraining it from moving forward any faster. The horrible thing is though, that even if time were to pick up the pace, I still have no idea what direction I would head in, or what little nasties would jump out at me next from the shadows.

So I waited. I waited, and patiently continued to slather on thicker layers of skin, so that I was becoming less and less vulnerable.

Vulnerable to what? The better question should be what shouldn't I be trying to protect myself from. It was a dangerous game hide and seek. So far I'd done well keeping my head low and out of anyone's notice. I didn't know how long it would last, but just like a game, there will always be more holes in the wall for me to fold myself up into.

At least that's what I tried to convince myself. Mickenna once told me that if once you begin to let fear take the controls inside your head, you're nothing short of doomed.

Me and the circus children were all waiting in our little room. Waiting for what, we were all uncertain of, but we were waiting for something. It had been three long suspenseful days since our last performance. We all knew it would come again, and in fear we were waiting for the moment they would come for us again. It was only a matter of time.

"It would be kind if they would at least give us a bit more warning right before," Reese said with a small poutish frown on his face, as he stared into vacant space.

I looked up from where my head was resting on Mickenna's lap, startled hearing the silence broken so suddenly after a couple of long hours. Mickenna's hands followed my head, her fingers didn't break their weaving patterns through my long black curls. I loved the way her delicate fingers danced through the waving curls of my hair; the slight tugging sensation felt tingly on my scalp.

"Why would they do that?" Arny asked scathingly before I could speak. My head swiveled to look over at him, crouched down in one of the darker corners of the room by himself. Until now, he'd been staring up at the cracks in the ceiling, like he usually did. When I asked him why he did that, he just shrugged my off, and I never asked him again.

Clarissa whimpered delicatly and her head rolls over to rest of her brother's, or should I actually say their shoulder and continued to doze. Her blond curls shuddered gently as the little girl breathed in. Reese lifted up his left arms, the one closest to Clarissa, and gently held her head with affectionate brotherly love.

"Arny don't go waking the sleeping ones with your huffing and puffing," Mickenna scowels, her lower lip and jaw pouting out towards him. Anry's eyes narrow at her in annoyance, making him look even more like a bull with his sharp yellow horns.

I shied away from the firey stare, but Mickenna just tosses her long red waves of hair over her shoulder and goes right back to playing with my hair calmly.

We sit for a while again without speaking. The only sounds are coming from Chip's little barks in his sleep and Blanes occaisonal low growels as he listens to noises the rest of us can't here outside the door. He always sits right in front of the door, so he is always the first one who knows when they are coming for us. His groweling used to frighten me a lot more, but then Mickenna told me how outside the door, people are always walking up and down the hallway, even if they were not coming to retrieve us. None of us knew much about this building we were being kept in. Mickenna told me that the circus had just been moved to this old, rundown building two or three monthes before I had been captured and brought here.