A Mother's Love

Another short story I wrote for school. Please vote if you like it and leave feedback!

"Where are we going, mommy?" Ariel asked as she swung on her mother's arm.

"We are going to plant a flower."

The meadow they were in was covered in soft grass. Trees were surrounding them from every direction. The sky was sprinkled with gray clouds, though the sun was still visible. A stream flowed through the middle of the meadow with rocks formed so that you could step across to the other side. Birds chirped from their nests and a deer stood a good distance away, watching the two females curiously. It darted away as Ariel stepped on a twig.

"Why?" Ariel asked.

"Well, since kindergarten is almost over, I thought we would finish by learning about plants." Her mother pointed to a small patch of dirt not far from where they were standing. "Let's plant them there."

Ariel's mother dug a small hole in the ground as Ariel clutched the tiny seed to her chest.

"Seeds need three things in order to live," her mother explained. "One of them is soil."

Ariel carefully placed the seed in the dirt and helped her mother cover it up again.

"Why does it need soil?" she asked.

"So that the wind doesn't carry it away. The soil protects the seed from anything that wants to take it away."

A sigh left the mother's lips before she continued, "Seeds also need the right weather. If it's too hot out, the seed will dry out. If it's too cold, it will freeze. That's why I always tell you to wear a jacket when it's cold."

An ache found it's way to her chest as Ariel's mother realized she wouldn't be able to do that for much longer. Ariel wouldn't be able to continue being homeschooled next year. Tears sprang to her eyes at the sudden thought, but she quickly wiped them away.

"Mommy, are you okay?" Ariel gasped.

"I'm fine," she turned her head away as more tears fell.

"Did I do something wrong?" Ariel asked more urgently.

"No. No, you did nothing wrong," she whispered.

"Then why are you crying?"

"It's just... Ariel," she turned to look at her daughter, "do you know what cancer is?"

Ariel shook her head, her blonde curls flying around her head and her hazel eyes shining with confusion.

"Remember grandma? Do you know how she died?"

"She was sick." Ariel suddenly realized this was a serious topic and listened carefully.

"She had cancer."

"Oh! So cancer is when you're sick!"

"Yes Ariel, cancer is when you're sick."

It wouldn't be long until the cancer caught up with her. It wouldn't be long until Ariel was left without a mother. She just had to make thses next days memorable.

It started raining as Ariel tried to understand what her mother was trying to tell her. She didn't know why her mother was acting this way.

"Seeds also need water," her mother managed to say through tears. "Without it, the seed would die. It would just be an empty shell."

"Mommy-" Ariel was going to ask what her mother was trying to say before.

"Come on, let's get you home where it's dry, I don't want you catching a cold."