Chapter Fifty-Three

Author's Note:

Hi, it's me again and I know you are all shocked because I'm updating LILB already! I'm trying to make this a regular thing again, you know? Because leaving you guys hanging for months made me feel endlessly guilty. So here's the next chapter! I don't have much to say except that there is some smut towards the end. Sorry for the spoiler, but I'm trying to warn anyone who might be offended or feel uncomfortable. I'm normally not a smut writer at all, but it just sort of happened and I left it in. If you're offended by smut, then just skip over it. I promise I won't be offended if you also promise not to be offended. Okay that's all...enjoy! And thank you again for all your love! I read each and every one of your comments and It means the world to me! 
​​​

-Nikki

-----

Charlie

We rolled closer to the gates and I saw two figures pulling them open so we could drive through. When we finally rolled to a stop in front of the cell block, the SUV door was thrown open and I saw Carol’s worried face, Carl at her side. “Oh, thank god. Thank god. They’re okay.” She was muttering quickly, although I wasn’t sure if it was more for herself or for Carl.

She helped Maggie get Glenn out of the car, enveloping both of us in a warm, motherly hug that almost brought me to tears. I was even more surprised when I felt Carl’s arms lock around my waist, looking up at me with a huge smile. I ran my hand over his head, his hair soft and feathery. My knees felt weak with relief and utter happiness, although there was still a dark hole inside me that was very much aware that Daryl wasn’t here.

Gabe clung close to my side, looking nervous as we all headed into the cellblock together, Carl trotting along next to us and looking curiously up at Gabe. When we were finally inside, and I saw Herschel and Beth with baby Judith in her arms, I realized I was crying. Herschel gripped me tight and his beard felt scratchy as he kissed my cheek. There was a lot of laughter and a lot of happy tears as we all hugged and I felt a light on inside me as I realized how these people were my family and my home just as much as Gabe was.

Gabe, I suddenly thought. I whirled around to see he had been pushed to the side during all of this and was hanging back awkwardly by the door with Michonne, who looked like she could care less about any of this. I smiled at him and wrapped my arm around his shoulder, pulling him towards the group. Everyone got quiet; all eyes turned towards us and looked curious as hell.

“Everyone, this is my brother Gabe. Gabe, this is everyone.” I said, my voice echoing throughout the small room.

“Well, I’ll be damned.” Herschel was the first to break the silence, limping over to us on his crutches. He held his hand out and Gabe took it. “Nothing makes me happier than to see family reunited. This is your home too now, Gabe.”

Gabe’s eyebrows shot up in surprise then, as everyone welcomed him and Carol even gave him a big hug, squeezing him tightly. “Your sister has been a real blessin’ to me.” She said quietly, beaming at him.

“Wait, where’s Daryl?” Beth’s soft voice suddenly broke through the silence and shattered the peace that had begun to settle in the room.

I grew cold and it felt like there was an iron grip around my heart and someone was squeezing it tightly. I felt Rick’s gaze on me and our eyes met from across the room. “Merle was in Woodbury, too.” He finally said. “He went after him to make sure he was fine. Said he wasn’t stayin’, though, and that he’d be back in a few days.”