14. We can share her. We are like Edward and Jacob.

"You only know you love her when you let her go."

Song for the chapter is to the right :)

Enjoy!

xx

Chapter Fourteen

Shane...

As I grew closer to him, time seemed to slow down. Memories came to me, hunting my mind. I remembered his annoying arrogance, his conceited smirk, his disgusting remarks, even his ridiculous way to think the world circled around him.

But then I remembered all those times he had helped me out even though he had no reason to; like that time when he'd taken me to the river and invited me a McDonald's hamburger. He had also fought for me in Helen's birthday party. He had hugged me when I cried over Evan instead of making me fun of me. He had carried me through the rocks in river town.

I realized Mom was right, Shane was a good person behind that arrogant façade. His attitude was nothing but a wall to protect himself from getting hurt. He didn't want to get close to anyone, he didn't want to give them the power of being able to wound his core.  I remembered how vulnerable he had seemed when he was drunk, telling me he loved me.

However, nothing justified his actions. He shouldn't have dragged me in that closet and kissed me like that. I pulled my hands into fists. I really felt like slapping him right there but I knew he wasn't the only to blame, I shouldn't have kissed him back. God, but it'd been so hard to reject him again, feeling the vulnerability coming out of his pores.

His hazel eyes looked right into my blue ones as we took the last steps that would bring us face to face. I bit my lower in expectation. He pulled his earphones out of his ears.

We stopped walking and I had to tilt my head back to look at his face. He was serious, he was not giving me a mocking smile or a smirk. His lips were pressed in a tight line. Having him this close, made me realize how bad I wanted to slap him for causing all this mess. I waited for him to speak but I was surprise to hear him say,

"Do it," he encouraged and I frowned, "Slap me. I deserve it."

"How do you know-"

The ghost of a smile formed on his lips, "You are pretty readable," I actually considered giving him a good slap but what for? It wouldn't change anything. It would do no good to anyone.

I unclenched my fits, "I'm not violent person," Shane stared at me in silence and I could only stare right back at him. I'd thought of thousands of insults to yell at him when that moment came, but as I stood there, I couldn't find myself to say any of them.

Silence surrounded us. Everything seemed to be written in our eyes.

Finally, Shane averted his gaze, scratching the back of his head. When he looked back at me, all seriousness was gone, his usual playful expression was back, "So, what are you doing out so late?" even his tone had gone back to normal.

"I'm taking an extra course," I relaxed my shoulders.

"Let me guess, math?" he smiled at me.

"No," I sighed, "Creative writing,"

"Oh, getting poetic for me, aren't we?" he smirked at me and I gave him a really look, "You don't need to go as far as learning poetry to get me, babe,"

I rolled my eyes, "Don't call me babe,"

"You know you like it," he was back to being flirting, arrogant Shane in full motion.

I realized that was Shane's MO, he always acted as if nothing happened. He had done the same thing when he had told me he loved me. He lied to me, saying he didn't remember a thing. This time was a little different though, he had told me to slap him at the beginning. Maybe, he was testing me to see if I still talked to him or if I would completely ignore him after what happened. Either way, I was okay with him avoiding the subject. I had no energy left to get into it, not with the recent events with Evan.