Chapter Twenty-One

It was settled that Jonah and I would have a private wedding in his hometown, with only our closest families and friends invited. He then would disappear from the media to go on our honeymoon, and then once we got back from the trip, we would publicly announce our marriage and his loving fans would be free to start hating on me for snatching him away from them.

Oh, and we didn't talk about how our "baby was conceived" again. He was still mildly amused by my reaction—I was a prude, deal with it—but I kept glaring at him to make sure he understood that he was the only one who felt amused. I did not want to spend the rest of my day imagining our honeymoon. It just was not appropriate, and I would like to erase that thought from my mind.

I mean, how could I think straight if he kept on bringing it up?

Honeymoon? With Jonah? Good God.

As usual, we had to get the report done by next Friday. On that Friday also... we would be getting married.

Mr. Herberg would give us fake wedding bands and he would give us about five minutes to go up in front of the classroom to say our vows to each other and exchange rings and stuff. Hopefully, he wouldn't be asking us to kiss after he pronounced us husbands and wives. God knows how much I wanted to kiss Jonah ever since I was a freshman girl, but I didn't need to have my first kiss with him in front of our teacher and classmates as we get fake married.

Then after that, the "honeymoon phase" would start. No, we didn't have to do the dirty during the phase—that would be crazy. Our teacher just wanted us to get closer with our partners; hang out more and get to know them even better.

The honeymoon phase would end once we started expecting a baby. Once we were announced to be expecting, every Friday for the next few weeks, we would be doing some other assignments about marriage and expecting a baby and all those financial stuff to think about. Then we would start taking care of the cursed crying doll.

My head hurt when I thought about doing all these project with Jonah. It would be fun, I knew that since all I had wanted was to be with him (and what was a better way to get closer with your crush than to fake marry him?), but only god knows what kind of chaos could happen during the whole project.

Who knew what Jonah would do. He was as unexpected my sister's boyfriend of the week. No one knew what was going on in that pretty mind of his.

[]

"Hey, stranger."

I looked up from my laptop to see warm brown eyes looking at me. I instantly smiled, my fingers pausing on my keyboard. "Hey there, Spencer."

"How long have you been here?" he asked, taking an empty glass of water on my table.

"Eh, ten o'clock, maybe?" I shrugged.

He raised his eyebrows in disbelief, so I looked around him to see the clock. It was nearly three in the afternoon.

"I didn't realize the time," I said sheepishly.

"You're telling me that you've been spending your Sunday morning in front of your laptop here?" he tsked. "You need to get a life."

I playfully glared at him. "Oh, like you have a life."

He grinned at my poor attempt of a comeback. "I feel like we haven't talked in forever."

I cringed. "Yeah... there are a lot of things in my mind right now."

He glanced at the ring on my finger and smiled. "How did he propose?"

I instantly chuckled, looking down at my lap to let my hair cover my cheeks and the blush that appeared. "He did it in the garden. It was unexpectedly very sweet, but not too sweet." I looked up again. "He nearly gave me a cactus."

He laughed. "Cactus, really?"

"Mm-hm." I rolled my eyes, before changing the topic. "How's it going with Tracey and your project?"

He shrugged. "We have a lot of fun doing it. She wants to go to Hawaii for the honeymoon."

"Ooo, that sounds nice."

"What about you guys?"

"We're going to Paris and then to Bali," I told him. "Anyways, how about your baby?"

His face immediately turned into a mix of excitement and anxiety. "We're... having twins. Boys."

I gasped. "Oh my god. That is gonna be one hell of a project."

"I know, right?" he laughed. "We already talked about taking care of them and I guess we won't be having a day off. Since both of us have to take care of both dolls, we'll be switching the doll every week."

"Well, good luck to you," I said. "I don't even know how I'm supposed to take care of one baby with Jonah. Let alone two."

"Just our luck, I guess," he said, grinning. "Okay, I should get back to work. Can I get you anything?"

I shook my head. "Nah, I guess I'll just get myself a drink over there, but thank you."

"Alright. Just holler if you need me." He gave a little wave and boyish grin before turning around and leaving.

I closed my laptop and stood up to get something to drink from the barista. My eyebrows immediately furrowed once I realized that Jonah was still there at the counter. His shift was only until two every weekend, so I was kind of confused.

He looked up once I got there, and raised his eyebrows expectantly.

I let out a breath and thought for a while. "Can you make me a vanilla Frappuccino with caramel and hazelnut syrup?"

"Extra whipped cream?"

"Yes, please."

He eyed me a little weirdly, probably wondering why I wanted to get so much sugar in my system right now. I didn't even know myself. I just felt like getting an extra fattening drink in this bright Sunday afternoon, was that a crime? "Sure."

As his hands worked magic on my drink, I asked, "Why're you still here?"

He lifted his eyes up at me for a second before looking back down. "Extra shift. I need to make up on Thursday."

"You didn't come to work Thursday?"

He rolled his eyes at me. "I was too busy proposing to you."

My cheeks felt warm once again, and my eyes immediately steered themselves to stare at the ring on my finger. "Have I told you that it was a really nice proposal?" I baited, and he shrugged. "Well, it was really sweet. Thanks for that."

"Yeah." I didn't miss the uncomfortable shift in his legs. I smirked, before furrowing my eyebrows.

"Where were you during the day? You skipped school."

His hold on the glass slightly tightened. "It's not your business."

I huffed. "I was just asking. I was worrying if you weren't gonna propose at all and then Mr. Herberg would give me an F on the project."

"Of course you were," he muttered.

"So—"

"God, why the sudden need to be annoying again?" he grunted, and I bit my lip to keep myself from laughing at his irritated expression. "I was just starting to think that you're bearable enough."

I widened my eyes in innocence. "Sorry?"

He ignored my half-assed apology, obviously. He poured whipped cream over the drink, and then sprinkled caramel and hazelnut syrup on it. For the last touch, he put a golden brown colored rolled wafer into the glass as the substitute for an actual straw, and slid the drink to me wordlessly. It looked absolutely delicious.

I gave him an overly sweet smile. "Thank you."

His eyes narrowed at me, before he finally turned away with a grunt. "Whatever."