Chapter Thirty (Snowflake)

Thank you llamakeeper for creating the ship name Snowfall, which became the official ship name.

Chapter Thirty

Snowflake's POV

I knew he'd been in my room while I was asleep. You couldn't sneak into a werewolf's room and expect to get away clean unless you could mask your scent. It was the home-like smell, his musky scent, that I woke to and that surrounded my senses.

I had been both annoyed and suspicious. It wasn't every day someone sneaked into my room. It also didn't help that Kendall wasn't on my good side currently, so he had to know it was a risk coming in here alone. So I was going to figure out just what he'd been doing.

I'd asked the guards near my room about who was in charge of their positions during the night. I certainly wasn't going to ask the Prince himself, since he would only make me beg for an answer. So the guards replied, giving me a name I was very familiar with.

It turned out Kendall hadn't dismissed all of his former guards as I had been told. He had kept one of them, although he no longer held the elite position he used to. But of course, Kendall had kept him around. He had been one of his most trusted guards before.

I found my way to the other side of the palace where I'd been told the guards resided. Their wing of the palace was much different than whatever I had expected. It sounded like there were twenty different parties going on all at once.

I could hear their laughter, each one drowning out the other. They yelled also, frustrated at losing yet another game. There were a few who hollered, of course, as they were enjoying the winning streaks of their lives. I could even hear some of them singing their hearts out. The only word to describe what was going on here was chaotic.

I carefully made my way over to "KA3," the room that I'd been informed of. It should be the guard's room unless he was enjoying his morning as much as the rest of them.

I found the room almost near the end, where the noise didn't decrease. I leaned in towards the door, my ear lightly touching it as I listened. He wasn't enjoying the day like everyone else, but I could hear the soft buzz of his radio.

So I knocked, making sure to do so loudly enough. I wouldn't want him not to hear it because of all the ruckus, and then I'd have to search for an alternative way in.

I could hear the radio being turned off before he hesitated. I knocked once again, and he grumbled but started advancing towards his door. It was a good thing he had decided to cooperate with me.

I put on a false smile, but it was useless. The second he opened the door, he saw me and groaned. He tried slamming the door shut, but I had slipped my foot in between the door and its frame, preventing him from doing so.

"You may be a guard, Lance, but a werewolf out beats you any day," I sung, the smirk on my face genuine.

His eyes narrowed at me, clearly not amused. Lance had been the guard to escort me to Kendall's office for the very first time. We'd been a minute early, but it had been enough to annoy Kendall.

Before the explosion, I'd seen him by Kendall's side most of the time, almost as much as I had been. I'd asked Kendall about it, and he'd said Lance had a particularly unique set of fighting skills, ones that would be essential in an emergency.

After the explosion, I'd assumed he'd been dismissed like the rest of the former guards. I guess Kendall felt Lance was more valuable to him than the others had been.

"I'm off duty and I don't work for you. Move," he said, already irritated. But I wasn't known for listening to people.

"I only have a question, Lance, come on. It's a simple one that you can answer," I tried, hoping my voice didn't reveal my own irritation.