Chapter Four

Carmen's pov

Walking into the room, I saw Azaria sitting on Galileo's knee, listening to him tell a story. As I sat one the bed, my back against the wall, Azaria made her way over to me. "Do you want me to keep going with the story?"

As she nodded, she cuddled into me, making herself comfortable. "Alright then, where was I? Ah, yes. Cinderella wasn't allowed to go to the ball because she to stay home and do chores. After her step-mother and sisters left for the ball she went out the back to clean up all the fallen leaves. Looking up, Cinderella saw a star falling, and made a wish. "I wish I could go to the ball." Suddenly, out of nowhere a fairy appeared..."

"Wait," I said, interrupting him. "You're telling the story completely wrong."

"No, I telling it the way it's supposed to be told. But if you think it's supposed to be told differently, you are more the welcome to tell it your way."

"Okay," I said taking him up on the offer. "Racking the leaves into a pile, Cinderella began to cry, 'I wish I go to the ball tonight.' 'Fear not, child, for you shall go to the ball.' Looking up in surprise, Cinderella saw a fairy floating in front of her. 'Did you just speak to me?' she asked wiping her face. 'Of course I did. Do you see anyone else around here?' The fairy laughed. Instead of waiting for Cinderella to answer, the fairy went on. 'I am your fairy godmother, and I have heard your wish.'" Telling the story I felt like I had never been taken from home. It just felt natural somehow. I'm not sure if it's because I'm going to be a mother or because I've been reading them my whole life. Finishing the story, I looked at both their faces. Azaria looked as if it was Christmas, but I couldn't tell weather Galileo was amazed or horrified-until he spoke. "That was certainly very different from the Cinderella I grew up with, but I must say, it is much better."

Smiling, I nodded. "Thank you."

Feeling Azaria tug at my sleeve, I looked at her. "Can you tell me another story?"

"Maybe tonight, when you go to bed." I said, laughing softly.

"Yay!" she said jumping up and wrapping her arms around me.

"Okay you two, get some rest before Amanda makes you." Galileo said laughing. Before I could look up, he was gone.

Pulling me down with her, Azaria cuddled up next to me, making herself comfortable. "Come on Carmen, me tired."

"But you've been asleep up here for as long as I have today." I said, but she was already asleep. Shaking my head, I closed my eyes, drifting off into a deep sleep filled with dreams.

***

Waking up the next morning, I realised I had slept through the night. Looking around the room, I spotted a blue and pink dress lying across the chair where Galileo sat last night. Getting up to put the dress on, I was stopped when Skyler appeared in front of me. Before I had a chance to scream, he clamped a hand over my mouth. Leaning in closely, he whispered in my ear, "I'm going to remove my hand, and you're not going to scream or run from me. Am I understood?" nodding, he removed his hand. "Tonight, when everyone is asleep, you and my poor excuse of a brother are going to leave this house and never come back."

"Why? What did I ever do to you?"

"Why? Because I don't like you. As for what you did you to me, nothing." After a moment he continued. "You are to go to the forest tonight. If you don't go, well, let's just say you will make for a very nice snack." After that, he disappeared from sight. As I put on the dress, I couldn't help but wonder why he wanted me to leave, and what he had against Kyran.

"Mother would like you downstairs." I heard someone say from the door

Jumping at the sound of Kyran's voice, I screamed and spun around. "You scared me half to death just then." I said placing a hand over my heart.

Walking in, he leaned against the wall. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He paused for a moment, looking at the dress. "You look beautiful." He said, clearly stunned.

Feeling my cheeks turn red with embarrassment, I looked down. "Thank you. Do you have a mirror?"

Nodding, he led me out of the room and into what looked like the main bedroom. Looking at myself in the mirror, I could hardly recognise the person staring back at me. The body of the dress hugged me nicely. It fit perfectly around the bump that had started to form in front of me and it showed my curves (not sure I like that part though). Blue silk was wrapped around the hips of the dress with a split down the middle so we could still see the pink fabric of the dress. From there, the dress seemed to flow to the floor. The arms of the sleeves suited me better than I thought they would, but they felt uncomfortable. "This is a pretty dress." I said spinning around. "Is it your mother's?"

"One of them. It's the only one we have that will fit you?"

"Are you saying that I'm fat?" I asked, shocked that he would say something like that.

"No, no, of course not! I would never say anything like that. What I meant was, since you're pregnant, this is the only dress we have that will fit you."

"Oh," I was relieved to hear that. "Doesn't your mum have other dresses like this?"

"Not anymore." He said making a face. "They kind of got destroyed a few years ago." Seeming to think about it, he continued. "Skyler was annoyed at mother for some reason. He came up here and destroyed her dresses until she gave in." After a moment of uncomfortable silence, he continued. "Mother will be wondering what's taking us so long." Following to the living room, I was again stunned by the amazing architecture.

In the living room, Amanda was sitting on the couch with Azaria on her knee. "Good morning. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Would you like breakfast?"

Until now, I hadn't realised how hungry I was. Putting my hands on my stomach, I looked down. "I would love some breakfast. And I assume this little fella would like some as well."

Laughing, Amanda led me in to the kitchen. "What would like?"

"Um, what is there?"

"We have some porridge or there is more porridge. Which one would you like?"

"Uhh," I said making a face. "I guess I'll have to have some porridge."

The porridge wasn't as bad as I expected it would be. It tasted very different from the porridge at home. But it was still disgusting.

***

"How was breakfast?" Galileo asked. Sitting in the main room with Kyran and his father, I felt a bit uncomfortable being the only girl in the room. It wasn't hard to tell they were trying their best to make me feel more comfortable.

"Umm..." I wasn't sure whether to tell him the truth or lie. Letting the side of me that doesn't like to lie take over, I answered, "I don't really like porridge."

"That's alright. What foods do you usually have for breakfast?"

"Usually I have eggs, toast, cornflakes or noodles. That's if we have noodles in the house. Mum doesn't like to buy them too much."

"Oh," they both said, pretending to understand. "What are cornflakes and noodles?"

"Oh my god people," I groaned, leaning back in the seat rolling my eyes. "I'm not even going to try and explain."