Chapter 4

Chapter 4

(My Idea of what Thad would look like------------>)

 Two other guys joined the crew on shift seeing that it looked like Kelly wasn’t coming back anytime soon. Their names were Shaun and Danny,  and the only word I could use to describe them was exuberant. Xavier had introduced them to me at breakfast, and they both welcomed me into the fold and practically shoved Robbie and Dave out f the way as they took a seat at either side of me. Shaun asked me questions as Danny hung on everything I said. I didn’t notice that everyone at the table, including the chief was listening to me answer the multiple questions until Shaun asked me if I had a girlfriend. I shook my head at him and prayed that he would leave it at that, but no, he turned and asked me why not. And I felt my cheeks warm as I glanced around the table and every eye was trained in my direction. I swallowed the bite of eggs in my mouth and it went down my throat like a rock.

 I drew in a deep breath and just decided to bite the bullet and admitted that I was gay. They were all silent for a minute before Shaun quick as flash, and without missing a beat asked me if I had a boyfriend. I was in  awe, I again shook my head and watched as everyone went back to their food like nothing happened, and I guess nothing did. They didn’t seem to mind it at all that I was gay and my shoulders slumped with relief. Shaun seemed to be satisfied that his questions were answered and he went back to his food. I took a moment while everyone seemed to be preoccupied with finishing their breakfast to peek at the chief only to find  those shimmering green eyes staring right back at me. I almost swallowed my tongue as the big man gave me a little smirk before turning to talk to Xavier.

 My cheeks felt like they were on fire as I picked up a some of the soiled dishes and carried them through to the kitchen. I made two more rounds before Xavier’s deep voice boomed out my name along with Robbie, Chuck, and Tom.  I was told that we were going grocery shopping this morning and I was to meet them outside in front of the garage.  Shaun, Danny, and Dave were staying behind on house cleaning duty. After his announcement, Xavier took off behind the chief and headed towards the office. I finished with the dishes and I wondered why the hell the guys seemed so excited to have house duty, I would have thought that going grocery shopping was more exciting than scrubbing toilets, but meh, maybe shopping for a station full of men was a challenge in itself. I was the first one out the door and I was practically bouncing in place by the time  Xavier, Robbie, Tom, and Chuck joined me. They just smiled fondly at me as Xavier grabbed the keys to the smaller of the Fire Trucks and I all but vibrated with excitement as he handed out the radios, just in case we got a call while we were out.

 I was so stoked, this would be my very first ride in one of my company engines and I was trying desperately not to show how excited I was, but I must have failed miserably when my ass hit the seat in the back of the truck and Tom chuckled and said, “Down boy.” And he took over strapping me into the safety harness. It was an awesome experience riding in the engine, I could just imagine it, racing through the streets with all alarms blaring, and lights flashing as we were called to a fire. I closed my eyes and savored this moment. All I have ever wanted to be was a fireman. I have dreamed of this day since I was a little kid, and a I proudly stepped down out of the big,shiny, red fire truck and waved at the little kids that were pointing our way and showing their parents the big red truck like I used to do. The guys just slapped me on the back and huddled me towards the entrance of the store.

 I should have known I was in for it when they all grabbed a cart and told me to grab one too. Xavier pulled out a piece of paper and like dutiful little ducklings we followed in his wake as he charged up and down each isle. It was like triple for everything that was on the list, so if it said orange juice, then it was four or five gallons of the stuff.  By the time we made it to the checkout line, I had to really had to put my back into pushing the cart it was so heavy. The poor check out girl resembled a robot as she swiped item after item and the bag boy was overwhelmed as stuff came flying his way. During the whole process Xavier was texting away on his  phone and frowning at it. I was just about to ask him if something was wrong when the clerk called out an unholy total for our bill, and Xavier just handed her an Amex Card which she swiped and returned to him. He signed the bill and stuffed the copy into his pocket and we all grabbed a cart headed back to the truck.