Chapter 11

"Make that a week" Alex says with a sigh.  

"How in the world did those people get vampire venom?" I snarl angrily.  

"I saw it in a shop we passed when we were in town earlier." Jack says. "I thought it was no big deal."  

And right then I stumble and suddenly phase into a wolf. Angrily I lash my tail back and forth.  

"And you don't control when you phase. The venom does. So you can't phase on command" Alex adds. 

"So your stuck like that until you phase back?" Jack asks, glancing into my eyes. I sighed and nodded.  

"Alright well, let's try and keep moving" I say in a series of growls to Alex. He simply smirks as if he is enjoying this and repeats the command to Jack. And with that we set onwards again. Judging by the sun it was mid-day. We must have slept overnight at that vet place.  

But we had lost all of our maps and most likely Bri and Kara had all our bags.  

"We might as well get a new map," Jack says, "I wonder if there's another gas station around here."  

Alex and I do not really react to his joke, there is only silence.  

"Too risky" Alex said, "we need to get far away from this area."  

On that note we continued on. Alex limps slightly from time to time but I know he would not stop even if his leg is broken. We must have gone a pretty great distance because when we finally slow down it was getting dark. The forest seems to be ending and I could see the lights of the town to our right.  

"How are we supposed to get to D.C now?" Jack asks after a while of silence.  

"How do you think?" Alex grumbls his response.  

"No, I mean how do we know we're going the right way."  

"Because I remember it."  

"Ok then." 

Frowning I follow behind them in silence. That was the end of their conversation for now. I do not like how the forest seemed to be thinning out. Being out here in the open I feel like a mouse standing in clear view of an eagle simply awaiting death. It is getting dark quickly as the last streaks of sunlight began to fade.  

"We just need to keep moving north" Alex says finally. I think about Bri and Kara, wherever they might be.

Alex finally pauses minutes later. 

"Maybe it would be a good idea to stop for the night" he says. I huff in response and sit down. But there were no trees around us, no cover. I grow a bit to point this out. Not being able to talk directly to the both of them was beginning to get annoying. Jack only shrugs and falls back with an exhausted sigh.  

"How is it that the vampire of the group is tired?" I grumble, forgetting that Jack wouldn't understand me.  

"What did she say?" Jack asks Alex with a furrowed brow.  

A smile crawls onto Alex's expression. "She said your lazy and you should go back home" he replies simply.  

"Did not!" I growl loudly.  

Getting the joke, Jack only chuckles slightly good-naturedly.  

"Well if you guys don't mind, then this lazy vampire is going to go to sleep for an hour. And I'll have you know that's a long time for a vampire!" he says with a salute as he lays back and closes his eyes. Alex shrugs and lays back in the grass himself. Catching my gaze he only shrugs.