Chapter 2

Mom woke us up bright and early the next day. I thought having grown up in the city, I would be used to the cold weather, but Crescent Valley was like being in a high pressure freezer. My toes practically froze to ice once they touched the bedroom floor. I dragged my feet to the restroom and soaked myself in  warm shower water. 

I could hear my sibling struggling to get up as well. Their groans echoing down the hallways. Then I hear feet thumping across the hall, a door slam and the sound of water being thrown. 

"ARGGGGGGG!!! WHAT THE F^%$#%!! MOMMM!!" Trent's scream shakes the entire house. 

This is how our mornings usually begin. Happens almost every other day.  

Charlotte made it her mission in life to wake Trent up by whatever means necessary. And from the sound of how he woke up, it  looks like she dumped cold ice water on his face. How she got up early to plan that, I have no idea...

After breaking up their dog fight, I herd my siblings downstairs. Mom told us last night that we would grab something outside for breakfast, so we didn't bother heading to the kitchen. 

As we put on our shoes, Gran groggily climbs down the stairs and headed straight to the kitchen. Being half-asleep, she doesn't notice us and continues walking past us. The curlers on her head hung loose and bounced on every step. When she sit down by the dining table, that's when she notices us staring at her from the door. 

"Where are all you going and how come I wasn't invited?" 

She sees the beagle in front of her, grabs it. Her eyes search left and right for something and when she finds what she is looking for, she stands up from her seat and grabs the box of Coco Puffs cereal from the counter. She places that on the table then heads to the cabinet for a ceramic bowl and then to the fridge to grab a glass of milk and a can of Dr. Pepper. 

My first thought was that Dr. Pepper wasn't a healthy breakfast choice and neither was the cereal. They were basically just sugar. 

Right as she was about to open the box of cereal to pour into a bowl mom shows up and snatches the box and the can of soda from her hand.

"HEY" Gran yells. 

"This is junk. you are eating junk and junk is what got you in the hospital in the first place. You are going to have another stroke if you don't healthy." 

"I am healthy!" Gran argues. "My Dr. Pepper fix is self-care---SELF-LOVE!" 

Mom opens her purse to take out her lipstick, ignoring Gran's outburst. She carefully applies the red stain while checking her compact mirror to making sure it's perfect. when she's done, she turns to Gran.

"I'd like to tour the kids around town and show them where their mom grew up. There's no need for you to go with us. I know this place very well. Stay home, sit still and don't do anything dangerous." She points her finger sharply at her. 

"And if Danger is my middle name?" Gran challenges. 

"Grace is your second name, but you've never been graceful."

Gran huffs and crosses her hands over her chest insulted.  

Mom opens the coat closet, slipped on her thick wool jacket and takes the car keys of the key rack.

"I would appreciate it if you would let me spend some time with the kids. I was deprived of years with them because my selfish daughter doesn't bother to visit." Gran pointed her fork at mom and a piece of food flew out from her mouth.

"yikes." Trent mouthed, staring at both me and Charlotte who were watching the exchange in silence. Mom never liked talking  about Gran, so it's aways been a mystery to us why Gran was not part of our lives. It was really awkward being in the middle of their conversations when the atmosphere felt so hostile.