Chapter 4

The night air in the enchanted world was thick with the scent of night blooms and life. The air was literally glittering with radiance and vitality. The grass felt crisp and fresh beneath their feet and the blue-black sky was filled with bright stars of different colors.

The enchanted world was very similar to the human world. It had skyscrapers, fancy cars and highly intelligent beings. They too kept pets, had nasty breakups and indulged in clubbing, drinking, prostitution and drug taking. The only difference was that there were hundreds of species of beings making the population of the enchanted world. It was not a surprise seeing unicorns galloping by the seaside as the sun set or mermaids braiding their hair on the rocks while they had picnics. It was not a strange thing to see levitating people moving around or the annoying little pixies that ravaged through your fridge for food at night when you slept.

There really was a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow but it was viciously guarded by mischievous leprechauns that tricked travelers to their doom. The enchanted world was what brought the fairy-tales to life. All the stories had roots in it.

Noelle felt a little lightheaded when she stepped onto the freshly mowed grass of the central park in the city of Gateway. They had specially designed the place that way because it was a tourist attraction. They were greeted by guards at the gateway which monitored people entering and exiting the enchanted world through that place just like a bus terminal or airport.

It was Blue Moon night and the park was alive with celebrations. In the enchanted world, a blood moon was something rare and very loved because rare energies radiated in the air, feeding the enchanted beings and enriching their bodies with all sorts of nourishment. 

The sky was clear and the blue moon shimmered down as people sang and danced. The aromas were overwhelming. They opened up the dam of her memories and let them gush through her mind like the stormy sea. She swallowed back a bout of tears as the homesickness tightened its grip around her throat. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't even see straight with the tears swimming in her eyes. She needed an anchor, something to hold her firmly intact with herself. She felt like a lost child in a familiar yet different land. She turned to her left side and there he was. Like a sentinel, he guarded her saw to her needs. It surprised her at how attuned he was to her feelings when he immediately held her arm and waist and helped her towards a vacant bench before she asked him to.

"Breathe, Noelle." He murmured in her hair as she forced her shaking body down the bench. His breath didn't help much. It caressed the tiny hairs on her face and sent a shiver down her spine. She couldn't look up at him. Not after she insulted him the second time. There was something about Tyran that always had her defensive. She needed to defend herself from his cool demeanor that had her body raging crazy.

"Tyran..." Her voice broke as she looked up at him. All the ice had melted from his eyes and that stubborn mouth of his was soft and full again.

He touched her cheek in a light caress. "You will be alright, I promise."

Noelle took a long and shuddering breath and turned to the live band playing a few yards away. People were happy, laughing and dancing to the dance beat. She loved blue moon festival. It was one thing that brought the entire enchanted world together. Each Realm celebrated it in their own way but it was one of the festivals that were celebrated by everyone. She could only imagine the big dinner her father would have hosted to mark that night. But he was gone and there were no roasted lamb and baby marrows waiting for her back home.

"Here, let her take some of this." Drake handed Tyran what looked like a harmless paper cup he took from one of the many food stalls around the park.

Tyran took the cup from his commander and handed it to Noelle who suspiciously sniffed the content. A sweet burning sensation went through her nostrils to the back on her throat.