Chapter 83 - The Arena: Day 2

SEPTIMUS BAKER'S P.O.V

Awaking to the sound of a klaxon, I drag my sleeping bag over my head. No way in hell am I waking up today. I'm so tired that I could get another five hours sleep, easily.

Phoxus stirs next to me. "Dude, didn't that note say we have half an hour?"

Staring outside, I realise we're now completely exposed, under threat, I guess. If Alix storms around with his large axe, we won't be able to defend ourselves all that well.

"Chester," I whisper, trying to think where the boy is. Then it hits me. "Chester is in that pine tree," I yell, remembering the words he said. "C'mon, let's get going!"

Pulling on my coat, I head out into the rainy world, abandoning the shelter that ensured safety. No cannons were heard overnight; they would've woken me up immediately if they had sounded.

Phoxus grumbly stumbles out of the shelter and into the raining arena. On the other side of the spoke, not a single droplet of rain is falling - if anything, it's completely deserted - excuse the pun within there.

But yeah, not a person remains in that desert-like terrain.

"Chester," I yell. Muffled yells come from the tree he told us he would be in - not a single word can be distinguished from the ruffling that follows his yells, but he seems okay. Noticing a hand pop out, along with a dagger in a second hand, I know that he's okay.

Phoxus trots over to the boy as I decide to bolt into the hot area; I instantly regret doing so. My body, concealed under the layers of waterproof clothing, does nothing but trap the sweat pouring from my body.

Nothing stops me from diving back over the spoke, into the wet area. Relieved as the rain takes over the sweat, I let my body reach a temperature I'm comfortable with.

Chester bounds on over to me, Phoxus following behind him, clutching his spear. "Dude, you look flushed," Chester laughs.

"Hey, here's a fun way to pass time," I smirk. "Dare you to spend a minute in that terrain. Go on." Winking at them, the two nod and walk over to the spoke.

"What's the prize?" Phoxus asks, ruffling his hair.

"My love," I wink again, giggling. "I'll count under my breath." Drumming my hands on my thighs, I let them know how accurate my timing will be; they both nod. "Go!"

They jump over the spoke, and immediately, their faces turn bright red, matching Phoxus' hair. "Oh my god," Phoxus yells, sweat already pouring from his forehead.

Chester pants, wiping a trickle of sweat from under his fringe. "This is ridiculously hot. Too humid for anyone, no matter what the district."

"Twenty seconds down," I yell. "Yeah, even Nine and Eleven would struggle to cope with that heat."

Phoxus begins to chug at his water bottle. "Imagine Districts like ours living in this heat!" Downing more liquid, Chester copies him as they reach the thirty second mark, halfway.

"Underground," Chester laughs. "You and Twelve would melt in the caves. You'd be useless."

Laughing at his truthful statement, I add my point. "Careers would barely exist, considering we're stood in this weather. Imagine intense fighting for hours on end."

Phoxus kicks at the dusty floor, frustrated that he's out of water. "Man, I need more," he whines.

"We have iodine and rain," I point out. "Fill up our bottles that way."

Chester frowns. "Why do we need iodine? Isn't rainwater supposed to be clean for the most part?"

"Yeah," I reply. He isn't being stupid or anything, but I'm surprised he doesn't understand the reason why. "We can never trust the Capitol one hundred percent, can we?"