To This Day

This is yet to be edited.

                This is a story about a guy who found love through hate.

                I grew up an orphan. My mother died giving birth to me, and my father is a politician. I’m Carlo Hidalgo, Jr. My father was never around when I was a child. I never felt his love. He never cared for me. So after some time, I stopped caring for him as well. There was distance. There was loneliness. And soon, there was hate, too.

                My father became known for his advocacy to eradicate every activity violating human rights. The main focus was prostitution. And being the rebel son that I was, I started going to clubs. It delighted me to be in the front page of local tabloids, because I knew that would infuriate him. “Carlo Hidalgo, Sr. is known for his advocacy against prostitution. But his only son has been spotted several times at various clubs. Photographs have been circulating…” the articles would read. He used to hit me every time that happened. But after a few repeat performances, he just completely ignored my existence. He would have disowned me and thrown me out, but that would have made more noise for the press.

                It was in a private room of a club called Wild When Wet that I first met Ivy. I could tell she was new because she danced with reservation and she would pause whenever a man would put a bill in her outfit. I had to pay extra for her, but I didn’t mind. I found her beautiful. I waited for her in the room. I was sitting on the bed when she finally came in. She was going to undress in front of me when I said, “You don’t have to do that.” She looked surprised by what I said. Surprised but relieved, relieved but confused.

                “Then… Why did you pay for me?” she finally asked.

                “I wanted to talk to you.”

                “Are you an undercover cop?”

                “No, I’m Carlo Hidalgo, Jr.” I smiled, and then insisted she sit with me.

                “You’re the governor’s son?”

                “Yes.”

                “What are you doing in a place like this?” she asked, sounding disappointed.

                “Well, for one thing,” I tucked the hair dangling in front of her face behind her ear, “Talking to a beautiful girl.”

                We talked the whole night. And before I left, I talked to the owner of the club. I told him I’d pay him a five-digit amount if he won’t let Ivy go to a private room with anyone except me. He said if he did that, Ivy wouldn’t make much money. I told him I’d double my first offer if he would keep her well-compensated. At that time, I just wanted her to myself. It was just the spoiled brat in me acting up. But after some time, I realized I really enjoyed her company. She became a friend to me.

                “Why don’t you leave this place?” I asked her one time.

                “I have five sisters to feed. My parents were killed in a rally two years ago. I tried applying as a maid or waitress, no one would take me. I tried selling food and drinks on the street, but the profit wasn’t enough. When Irene died of hunger, I decided to do everything to keep the rest of my sisters alive. Then I came upon this place. And I took it as a sign.”

                “Well, maybe you were destined to work here… So we would meet that night. And maybe it’s my destiny to take you away from this place.” I held her hand.