Chapter 2

I ignored the big black camera focusing on my every move

I ignored the crowd watching my every word

I ignored the knowledge that soon, the entire world would see this interview

I should just be glad my brain didn't ignore Ellen, or I would be in real trouble with Ev when I got back stage

"Wonderful to have you here Asher" smiled Ellen as she sat back down in her chair opposite me, crossing one leg over the other

"Wonderful to be here" I smiled

"Now we've heard YouTube success stories over and over again, posting videos for family in different states or countries and then blowing up and you become famous but your story is a little different"

"Just a bit" I smiled

"Want to tell us what happened there?"

"Well back home I went to a party with a friend who's 18, I'm not old enough to drink but she got a little bit tipsy" I laughed "Actually she was full out drunk"

The crowd laughed

"We were playing truth or dare and she dared me to make a video of my singing and post it on YouTube"

"And you said No" added Ellen

"Exactly, I said no, but then my next dare was to sing and I thought 'Why not? I'm only around friends' but my other friend was hiding behind someone with his camera out, taping me and when he was over at my house, he snuck onto my computer and uploaded the video"

"And it went viral"

"Yeah, a week later it was a viral video and I was walking down the street and this guy stopped me and was like 'whoa you're the chick from YouTube with the drunk friends'" the crowd, Ellen and I laughed "and I had no idea what he was talking about"

"You're friends hadn't told you?"

"No, my friends hadn't told me at all, I started getting emails from YouTube saying you have a comment on so and so and I was like someone's hacked my account, something wrong"

The audience laughed again

"What did you do when you found out?" asked Ellen with a smile

I paused "I screamed"

More laughter

"In all honesty, I did want to kill my friends but when they came over, they showed me all of the comments. It was one of those dream moments, I didn't think all those people had actually commented, so I ignored it"

"You ignored it?"

"Yeah, people started adding me on Twitter and pleading me to upload a proper video but I was just like 'You're not real, I don't know who you are or why you're here'"

"But you did upload more videos"

"I did, I -um- I realized that these people actually were real and so I posted another video and then I started posting videos every week, it got really addicting"

"And how long did you have to wait until your manager called you up?"

"4 months"

"4 months?"

"Yeah" I sighed "Yeah, she contacted me through Twitter and her first message was 'I'm not a stalker or a creeper but I'd like to talk to you about a recording contract' I showed my mum and she had the same idea as me, we both thought that 'I'm not a stalker or a creeper' is something a stalker or a creeper would say"