Chapter Twenty-Four

Ronan drew up, slightly startled by her revealing. He stepped to the left and she moved to the right, still wary of him as she held firm to the 9mm with freshly manicured nails.

          “You seem surprised I know this?” she said, blue eyes glinting astutely.

          He arched a tawny brow at her, “It doesn’t happen often.”

          Her mouth curved into a grin, “No, I imagine it doesn’t.”

          “If you know so much, why haven’t you alerted others?”

          She tilted her head to peer more directly at him, “I’m well aware of the secrets these mountains hold. What good would it do me to disclose them?”

          “You’re a smart woman.” He paused, studying her a bit more intensely. “Are you genuinely concerned for her?”

          Julie straightened at this, somewhat offended as she pinned him with those spirited blue eyes, “Why else would I be here?”

          He raised his chin and peered down the brim of his nose at her. She appeared truthful. But could she be trusted? “The man responsible reeks of cigarette. You’re good with faces?”

          “You can’t expect me to narrow down the smokers?”

          He smirked at her, “Someone as clever as you?”

          She fixed him with another blue glare, “The residents of this town are smoking fiends. It’s near impossible to find your man off that one trait.”

          “Regardless, he will visit areas that permit smoking, such as your diner and my bar.”

          She fell silent, considering his words. “I’ll help you find your guy, on one condition?”

          Ronan squared his shoulders, arching another brow at her. “We’re negotiating?”

          A corner of her red lips curved as she turned the 9mm over in her hands, “You will take me to her.”

          He stiffened, “No.”

          She raised the gun at him, “No? I need to assure my friend is well.”

          “You’re bullets cannot kill me.”

          “But they’ll hurt nonetheless.” and then, “Stop being pigheaded. Kate needs a friend right now, not some muscle-toting brute.”

          Ronan groaned inwardly. He had to admire her fiery spirit. “Fine.” He grumbled.

          She beamed a smile and spun away from him.

          “Where are you going?” he demanded.

          “To get some of her things – “ she shouted over her shoulder at him, “ – I suspect you have no clue as to what a woman needs.”

          He scowled.

            Kate paced the confines of Ronan’s loft, sweeping a hand through her damp hair as she cast an anxious glance at the front door. He’d been gone for some time and her fears were getting the best of her. The walls were beginning to close in around her; sounds mostly contributed to the rustic structure rang eerily on her ears, further intensifying her anxiety.