Chapter 12 - Roof Talks and Squirty Cream

Chapter 12 – Roof Talks and Squirty Cream

“I – Uh – I” I stuttered, I really didn’t know what to say, my mind was in over-drive.

“I’ve got to do a meet and greet, tell me after?” he asked and I nodded, he gave me one of his dazzling smiles before going with the other boys to meet some of the fans.

I walked down the backstage corridors ending up outside the backstage doors, when I got out to the cool air I saw some metal stairs, flashing my backstage pass to the security guards they let me pass and I climbed them one step at a time.

When I was on the roof of the arena I sat down on a block, it was dark out but refreshing, just what I needed. Even though my thoughts weren’t cleared, it did help slightly. I knew that right at this moment I didn’t have any feelings for him, or if I did they weren’t showing, so I knew for now we couldn’t be anything more. I’d have to tell him that and see where we go from there, I just hope we’ll be as we were and nothing becomes awkward.

I don’t know how long I sat there, just enjoying being this free and open, on a roof in America where I never thought I would be. I must have been there for a pretty long time though as I heard footsteps on the metal stairs, I turned around and saw Tom walking over in my direction.

“Hey Mags what you doing up here?” Tom asked coming and sitting next to me.

“Oh I was just thinking” I said honestly

“We’ve been looking for you. Do you need to talk to anyone?” he asked, I thought about it for a minute, I guess I could trust Tom.

“I didn’t realize, and I guess” I said turning and looking straight back over the glittering of lights of Las Vegas.

“Shoot” Tom said, I thought about how I was going to put it for a minute.

“You heard what Nathan said onstage right?” I briefly looked at him to see him nodding so I carried on.

“Well yesterday I asked him about the thing that happened in the lift – you know what I mean- and he said he was going to tell me today. The speech he gave was his explanation. I don’t know, I guess it’s because I’ve always seen him as my best friend that it’s weird to think that he likes me as more you know” I said and looked at Tom, he was wearing a thoughtful expression so I knew he was taking it in.

“You know when we first got together as a band and we got to know each other he would always talk about you. It was like we knew you before we actually met you, we knew he liked you even though it took him so long to admit it” Tom said, everyone usually saw the crazy side to Tom but when it came down to it he was pretty deep! I thought about what he said for a minute.

“What! Really?” I asked, I guess I was so shocked because I’d never realized myself.

“Yeah. We all thought he was going to tell you at your prom, you know when he asked you, but I guess that never happened.  I know it’s probably weird but just think about it” Tom said and I nodded, again consumed by thought.

We were broken from our conversation by footsteps again coming up the metal steps, but these I recognized. You know when you know someone so well you can tell it’s them coming up the stairs before you can see them, well that’s what happened, I knew it was Nathan.

Tom stood up and smiled sticking his thumbs up as Nathan took his place sitting beside me, I found myself smiling shyly at him before talking.

“I can’t say the same thing back, not yet anyway. I don’t know how I feel about being more than friends yet, but I’m sure I’ll tell you when the time comes” Nathan smiled, but I knew it was one of those smiles where even though you were disappointed you still smiled anyway.