Rebellion

Rebellion [noun]
1. Resistance to authority, control, or tradition. 
2. The act of running away when under great amounts of academic stress.

Maybe Alice had better ideas, but she was already on the road and there was no turning back now. She blamed her spontaneous act of rebellion on the education system. She was expected to ask permission to go the bathroom, but at the same time, had the pressure of deciding what she wanted to do with her life after graduation. Alice was already emotionally muddled, so when it was reminded that final exams were less than a month away and that this was the most crucial process of high school, she picked up her things and walked out of auditorium.

Alice wasn't the type of person that was described as 'spontaneous' or 'rebellious', which is probably why no one immediately reacted to her stunt. There was a momentary pause of silence, a whole lot of staring and even a couple of gasps from her fellow peers. Then a kid in the back of the crowd started to slow clap, which pulled everyone from their temporary surprise and the chaos started. The rest of the graduating class clapped and a few even followed her out the doors. Teachers were yelling in all directions, desperately trying to calm the sea of out-of-control students.

If Alice were in the right state of mind, she probably would have felt guilty that she practically started a riot, but she was a complete mess and could barely keep her car in the right lane. Her mother kept calling while she was driving; a constantly loud vibration on the passenger seat that was giving her a headache. Eventually, she reached over and switched her phone off. Alice would deal with the consequences when she was ready.

In the meantime, she focused all her attention on driving in a straight line without going over the speed limit. She wasn't particularly sure where she was going or how far she had driven, but all questions were answered when she drove past a sign board.

BATHURST SHOWGROUNDS 5KM

She was already two towns away, and although it seemed like a great amount of distance, Alice lived in a rural area, where the towns were small and clustered together within a country landscape. It had been a long time since she had gone to the showgrounds. She wondered if there was a carnival on.

Alice decided to find out.

Circus [noun]
1. A travelling community of entertainers who give performances at numerous locations.
2. An empty space in which inspiration is found.

To Alice's utter delight, there was a carnival. And although the bright, scream-inducing rides were the attraction of the showground, she was more interested in the circus. Not only was it free, but Alice had a fascination with illusions, and the distraction was in dire need.

She checked the timetable taped onto the side of the tent. When she saw there was a show starting in five minutes, she walked straight in. But as soon as she stepped into the warm, humid air of the space and inhaled the stale stench of body odour, she was surprised to see that nobody else was seated within the bleachers.

"You're not from here, are you?"

Alice was admiring the emptiness of the space as a voice, as silky and mesmerising as a ringmaster, spoke from next to her.

"Is it that obvious?" she asked, looking up at the boy. He had broad shoulders and messy hair and smiled at her like she was the most interesting person in the world. She wondered why he was there. It was a school day and he looked about her age. Perhaps he shared the same motives.

"I'm good with remembering faces, especially girls with hazel eyes," he answered, placing his hands in his pockets. "I'm pretty good at remembering names too, if you give me one."

"Alice," she answered.

"Isaac. Have you ever been to a circus?"

"Yes," she answered. "Which is why I'm surprised to find this place deserted."