Chapter Thirty One

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, how have you been? Happy July and I hope you all have a good month. This is a pretty long chapter and it was going to be longer but I decided to split it in two and start another chapter. If every reader could simply vote and comment their thoughts about this chapter, I would appreciate it SO much! I hope you enjoy and as always, I love and appreciate you all and thank you for reading!

P.S It's really early morning in London and I've stayed up to try and get this chapter up, so I haven't had the chance to really check for typos and errors etc, so please let me know if you see any!

Chelcia Xxx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kayla: 32 weeks pregnant

With my cool glass of water in one hand, I walk into the bedroom, seconds away from bringing the tall glass to my lips for my first sip. Catching sight of myself in the full length mirror inside, and immediately dissatisfied, I place my glass on the dressing table, before returning to my wardrobe to reconsider. My first resort was a white, sleeveless, above the knee lace dress, with white flowers printed into the lace which, according to the mirror that never fails to evoke my inner critique, makes me look like a pregnant nine year old girl. All it needs is rabbit buttons and two red ribbons in my hair. I pucker my lips; experimentally raising my hands to the side of my head as I grip my hair into bunches and stare into the mirror. I can’t arrive at my own baby shower looking like this. I place my hands on my hips and sigh at my reflection, gazing at my stomach that has swollen to a size that I didn’t think was possible. I find it hard to believe that it’s going to get bigger in the next several weeks. Nonetheless I smile, automatically cradling it as I feel him move inside, pressing his approximately four pound body against the walls of my stomach as he does so.

My thoughts return to my outfit, I’m feeling sceptical, because I know the tricks that my mind can play, especially at this stage in my pregnancy. I’ve had such a good morning so far and in all truth, I’m bursting with excitement for my shower this afternoon. So I don’t want to allow small things such as what I’m going to wear to bother me, not only for my own peace of my mind, but for the baby. But then again, it won’t help my state of mind either to attend my own baby shower looking like I’m attending my baptism, so I better find something that doesn’t make me look hideous.

More in acceptance than frustration and panic, I look away from the mirror and open wide my wardrobe. I own two more outfits that were brought especially for the occasion, and yes I did buy three dresses because I didn’t know which one I liked more. After moments of struggling out of the lace disaster, I let the dress fall to the floor. Stepping disapprovingly over the pile, I retrieve a white, v-neck, flowing maxi dress instead of the other white, knee-length swing dress with a dipped hem that hangs next to it. I press it against my body, picturing how it will look on and nod in approval. Ten minutes later, after carefully pulling the dress on, I feel comfortable and secure as well as classy and sexy. I leave the pearl stud earrings in place and remove my necklace, leaving my chest bare. I retouch my hair and light makeup, fixing the white flower crown headband in my hair, which Kasha insisted that I wear, before applying a little perfume to the base of my throat, more of which is now exposed. I hope I don’t look like those teenage girls who go to festivals with these flowers in my hair, because that’s more my fifteen year old sisters style.

“Well,” Damion says, startling my thoughts as I turn around to see him leaning against the dressing table with his eyebrows raised. My cheeks flush as I wonder how long he’s been standing there, watching me. “You look beautiful, Kayla,” he murmurs and smiles, his eyes glowing with love and something darker, something hot.