The Mom Who Stands Before Me

"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why."

- Mark Twain

ChapterVIII

// Kate's POV

The sky was dark. All around me were the noises of the calming night, and the sleeping town.

Crickets chirped, a light wind rustled in the trees, and only the sound of a far away city could be heard.

I walked down the sidewalk of the empty streets, encountering the mad flickering of a street lamp above me. It blacked out as soon as I stepped foot under its light, and I knew it was only darkness from here.

I trailed off from my usual route. Tonight something inside me desired the need of a dramatic rush. I wanted to be on such a high that it would be forever until my feet could touch the ground again. I wanted it to take me away from everything for a while; I wanted to be so consumed in the kill that it would clear my mind, just for a minute.

Soon enough my feet start trailing through the grass. I had made it to a livelier town, seeing as only a few people still roamed the streets. I was in the back yard of someone's home, watching the road from afar.

I see three able victims pass by, but none of them seemed to call out to me. Instead I felt like exploring on a level I had never been on before.

I wanted in someone's house. I wanted to rip away their sense of security; to do something they'd never suspect. And I'm going to.

A house down a lonesome road called me closer. It had a few hundred acres surrounding it, making it look so isolated and just perfect for a killer like me.

I near the front, finding a large window open on the left side, only about four feet from the ground. I peek inside, finding a dark figure lying across a bed.

I grip the ledge and quietly climb inside, slinking into the dark room and stalking around the bed. They were sleeping soundly, oblivious to my presence.

But perhaps I spoke too soon. They started tossing and turning until they rolled over and checked the alarm clock beside their bed. From the soft red glow of the digital numbers, I found them as a female, with brown hair and tired, dark eyes. She still hadn't noticed me. Not until I started laughing.

She freezes and looks at me, trying to adjust her vision into the darkness.

"Hello?" She asks. I roll my eyes. "Is someone there?"

"No,"

Her face goes pale, and her eyes widen. "Who's there?"

"The person who would want least in your bedroom at night."

Suddenly a light flicks on and reveals her face. I could feel my heart plummet the minute I saw her. Her brown hair, her hazel eyes; the innocence emitting from her. I knew her. I knew her all too well.

She screams as she sees me, and crawls backwards to get away, hitting her head on the headboard, and passing out.

With all the shock inside me I couldn't move.

But it was only a second after when I woke up and flew from the bed, almost screaming as remembrance of the dream tides over me.

"Oh my God..." I breathe out, clutching my sweaty forehead in my clammy hands.

"Is everything okay?" Jeff asks as he rushes in. "What happened, are you okay?"

He looked so worried, I couldn't help but let a small laugh slip from my lips as he rushes over to me and looks around.