Chapter 42: Storm on the Horizon (Part 2)

Fourie’s POV:

“It goes against all my codes to work with the supernatural, but it’s Drew we’re talking about and I’m desperate. I am willing to trust you and only you just this once in hopes of getting Drew back, but I didn’t sign on to team up with the werewolves as well.” Tamarind replies defiantly, going against my authority and my plan.

“If you’re so desperate to save Drew then even you must realize that we’re outnumbered. We need help and the wolves are offering it. You can be the naïve ignorant fool that sends the feeding hand away, but I’m taking it whether you’re with me or not.” I reply back with more certainty than her.

I know what I’m doing.

“But what you’re asking of me is…” Tamarind trails off, “I just can’t ask them of that.”

I nod, understanding, “I know what I’m asking. Believe me I do. But there’s life or death chance for Drew and if you don’t even try to persuade your family into getting here and helping us…well to be blunt, Drew and AJanae are as good as dead.” I reply to her with a fierce gaze, trying to make her see our chances of winning are slim to nothing. “Look I’m not saying you have to get them to listen to reason. I’m only asking that you try.”

There’s a pause from her side before she finally sighs and gives in with a stern nod as she takes out her phone. We both know that she’s about to contact the rest of the hunters. I don’t like the idea of working with hunters who want my kind dead, but as of now they’re our last hope.

Tamarind gives me a firm nod as she turns her back on me, walking off to talk to her family in private. I just hope that she can persuade them…even if it’s just this once before we fall back into battle again afterwards, but as of now we need to all come together.

I notice Ben from the corner of my eye beneath the shadows of the enormous oak trees. I nod at him, giving him the signal and motioning to Tamarind’s back with my eyes.

I hate doing this, but I need to be sure that Tamarind is on our side.

Ben isn’t going to cause her any harm. He’s just going to eavesdrop in the conversation to make sure Tamarind is true to her words. He has the most experience from us and not even a skilled hunter such as Tamarind will hear him or pick up on his closeness.

I turn back to the semi crowd gathered before me as my eyes meet Slate’s who has yet to refrain from staring at me like I’m some sick twisted monster. He’s right in a way. I am different physically, but I’m still me at heart.

No doubt Slate is weary and cautious of me. He doesn’t trust me anymore. For all he knows I could kill him in a heartbeat or give into the blood lust and feed on him. I never wanted this. I never wanted to break his trust. From everyone in my life I was certain that Slate would always accept me. Now I’m having my doubts. If this is the reaction of the most lovable guy I know, then I sure as hell don’t want to see Drew’s reaction.

I let out a sigh of regret. I want his trust back but I can’t focus on that now. I still have to betray his trust yet again and only then can I work on getting it back.

His earlier words stung and hit me straight home.

I’ve put on a bold façade and acted as if his words had no effect when really I can’t forget them. His words echo around my mind continuously as I try to think of anything else. But it’s close to impossible.

‘We’re not family, not anymore.’

It’s not like I asked for this life. I, myself, have yet to accept the new me. Frankly I haven’t been more lost in my life and I could do a lot better with support than mistrust. But now’s not the time to focus on me. It’s time to focus on the bigger issues at hand and for once it’s not concerning me. At least not yet anyways. Slowly but surely I will get to that part of the plan.