Chapter 28 - Heartaches by the Number

“That boy came to the house because of you, didn’t he?” Annie asked

While she waited, studying Jess with a grim expression, Jess desperately tried to think of what she should do.  She considered lying to Annie, but from the look in Annie’s hazel eyes, she knew it wouldn’t work.  Annie already knew the truth.

“Yes, ma’am,” Jess said quietly, hanging her head.

“Did you ask him to come here?” she demanded.

“No, I didn’t!” Jess said earnestly.  Annie’s shoulders relaxed and her face softened slightly.

“I didn’t think you would,” she said, but then she became serious again.  “I’m assuming you met him at school.  I understand why you didn’t bring him up, with the way your uncle is.” 

Jess stared at her.  She hadn’t guessed everything.  Should she tell her the truth?  Maybe she’d understand.

“He would never approve of your friendship with that boy,” Annie continued.  “And I think he’d be right.” 

Jess felt her heart clench.  What was she saying?  She didn’t think Jess should have a poor boy as a friend either?  Seeing the expression on her face, Annie sighed deeply and then slowly reached both hands across the table.  Realizing she wanted to hold hands, Jess placed them in hers.

“Jess, I know you’re a good girl,” she started solemnly.  “But I want you to listen to me because this is very important.”  Jess felt a cold fear spread through her body.  Annie had never spoken to her in such a serious tone before.  “You must never spend time alone with that boy.  It’s too dangerous.”

“Marty would never hurt me!” Jess cried out, pulling her hands out of Annie’s. 

“He may not intend to hurt you, but if you spend time alone with him, especially now that you’re getting older, something might happen.” 

“I – don’t know what you mean.”  Annie immediately looked embarrassed.

“Jess, when boys and girls are alone together,” she started more quietly, looking uncomfortable.  “That’s when girls get – in the family way.” 

“But - I thought only married ladies can have babies,” Jess said faintly. 

“Any girl who is old enough can have a baby, and you’re old enough,” she replied, looking at her meaningfully.

“How?  How does it happen?” Jess asked, trying to keep the panic out of her voice.  Was it possible she’d already done whatever it was with Marty? 

Annie leaned back in her chair with another sigh.  “I never thought we’d be having this conversation, at least not until the night before you got married.”  She gazed at Jess, while she chewed on her lip.  “You’re too young to know the details,” she said finally, her face turning red.  “But – you have to be close to the other person – with your clothes off.”  Jess was horrified.

“That would never happen!”   

“It can happen, and it does!” Annie insisted angrily, slapping the table with her hand.  “I know girls it happened to!  Good girls who you think would never do something like that!” 

Could it be true, Jess wondered.  That girls like her would do that with a boy?

“Jess, if it happened to you, your life would be ruined,” Annie said more gently, and Jess felt the tears come.  “Can you imagine the scandal it would cause?  The whole county, maybe the whole state, would be talking about you!  The family name would be dragged through the mud – and the company could be affected too.  What if other companies refused to do business with Blackwell Iron and Mining because they thought the family had loose morals?”