The Last Dance (33)

Sorry it took so long, this chapter was really hard to write since there are a lot of characters involved.  

Also, thanks to everyone who sent me songs that reminded them of the story I wish I could use them all, but instead I'll list them at the end for whoever wants to listen.

Comment and Vote?

Cheers, 

xo.

***************************************************

Chapter 33 - Last Dance

{The High Ball, Day 4}

Mira's POV

"Celia?"

I inched the door open and saw that she was still in bed despite the hour. The sun was shining brightly, sending shafts of light across the sheets, but she'd buried herself under them like a cocoon.

"I can't do it; I can't see him fall for another girl."

Her voice came out muffled from under the covers but I could hear the panic under her words easily.

I immediately knew what she was talking about.

"You might not have to Cee, it... could be you."

She pushed herself up from the bed, her face red and tear streaked.

She shook her head sadly, a rueful smile on her face. "It could have been me... until I blew it."

"What do you mean?"

She started talking, half unintelligible with grief about everything that had happened last night. I could feel my eyes getting wider and wider even though I only understood part of what she was saying.

"I didn't realize it until it was too late, until he was already gone that..."

"That?" I prompted.

"That I... love him."

I could feel my mouth drop open in shock. Before I could even attempt a response she started talking again.

"But it doesn't matter. He doesn't even want to be friends anymore" She buried her head in her hands.

Her words shocked me once again, but now I had to say something.

"Oh Cee... I'm sure that's not true, he was just angry and confused. He probably didn't even mean it."

I hoped she could hear the truth behind my words. I so badly wanted them to be true for her sake.

"Even if he didn't... I don't have the guts to go find out. I can't face him again knowing how I feel..."

"And what if he feels the same way?" It was obvious he did, but I didn't think she could handle hearing it.

"Then... then we're just worse off than we were before because everything is still too new to know if things will ever work. But even then, I would have... I wanted to say yes only... he didn't... he didn't give me a reason too. I asked him why me? And he couldn't think of a single thing. Not one reason" She babbled out forlornly.

I opened my mouth to reply but no words came out.

I really had no argument for that. I almost didn't want to believe it, that John would really have nothing to say in a moment like that... but one look at her face told me it was true, told me how much it was hurting her.