Time and Truth

I'm a terrible person. We know. I think I lost motivation because I saw no one was reading, but I've come the conclusion that, with or without reads or feedback, I write for me, so, those that do read FLOSS, thank you, I love you, message me sometime! :) I hope you all like Chapter 9.

💛

Chapter 9: Time and Truth

"Super soldiers? We're super soldiers? Like the Captain himself?" Jarvis asked through a mouth full of food.

"Basically. I'm sure you've already noticed the differences before and after the...injections," I said slowly. "You're stronger, faster, smarter. Your reflexes are better, and your wounds heal extremely fast. There could be more things that I haven't observed yet."

"That's so cool! I mean, not the whole life-changing part, but at least there are perks, right?" Jarvis responded.

Stephanie spoke up. "That's true. I was pretty uncoordinated even after joining the Navy. Now I'm able to fire a gun with, essentially, no chance of missing my target," she said while biting into a slice of toast. "And I knew a lot about computers before the shots, but now? I don't think smarter begins to describe it."

Victorian nodded his head and sipped orange juice from a glass, all the while offering me bits of fruit from his bowl. "So then melee combat is affected as well, Love? You said we have better reflexes and that we're stronger."

"Yes," I said with a mouthful of apple slices. "That doesn't mean you can beat me now, though."

Everyone at the round table except Aaron chuckled.

Victorian nodded and sipped again. "Oh, I know. I couldn't beat her before," he mumbled to the table. "She clobbered my arse...constantly."

"Clobbered my arse?" Jarvis asked.

"We fought all the time. He lost all the time," I added quickly.

Jarvis smiled and continued eating his chicken. "Figures," he said, and he gave a playful punch to Aaron's shoulder. "Aaron beat him up pretty bad when we got here. I told you not to be dramatic, dude." Jarvis was staring at Victorian, now. "Throwing doors open is not discreet; even I know that. Next time, you may not be so lucky and come across a human. Especially ones that you know."

"One." Aaron cut in.

Victorian scowled and cursed and I felt a chuckle breeze past my lips.

"So, Lieutenant Blake, I wanted to talk to you about some things that I found along the way here."

My gaze went to Stephanie, who was now already standing at the mouth of the kitchen, gesturing for me to get up and follow her. I slid my chair out and rose from the table.

"You three play nice, now." This was mostly directed at Aaron, who still didn't seem to like Victorian very much.

At all, really.

I heard both, "Will do, Lieutenant. No worries," and "Got it, Mademoiselle," at the same time. I waited for a yes from Aaron, but all I received was a simple grunt. A small glance from the corner of his eye told me all he wanted to say, though.

We'll talk later.

I turned and followed Stephanie out to the foyer and up the steps. "So what is it that I needed to see?" I asked.

"Tons," she replied as she opened the door of her suite and ushered me in hurriedly. She moved to the side of her bed, where I saw a multitude of black laptop cases along with cords wrapped around each other along the floor. I followed the length of the cords to a desk, nearly completely covered with more computers and wires. "My observations, data collection...Victorian told me you're really good with computers and I wanted to see for myself..." she trailed off.