Chapter 1

I bounced my foot over my crossed leg sitting on the steps impatiently and took a deep breath in, enjoying the smell of cinnamon for Lord Death’s tea. Kyo and Kyoto were on either side of the steps leaning against the platform, Kyoto reading a book and Kyo mumbling to himself about ‘not wanting to be here’ over and over again. I crossed my arms glancing over my shoulder as Lord Death discussed with a meister through his mirror. Kyo leaned over the stairs cupping a hand around my ear.

“We could leave right now and just go get Jaden on our own.” He suggested. I gave a sigh in response and looked in Kyoto’s direction. “He’s obviously busy Akane. Let’s make a break for it!” He urgently whispered followed by a loud thud and Kyo’s strangled voice. I assumed Lord Death had given him a nice Shinigami Chop to the top of his head. “Geez, not again.” Kyo complained moving away from my spot on the stairs.

“Good morning, Lord Death.” Kyoto greeted closing his book.

“Hello, hello Kyoto! Meister Akane, it’s wonderful to see you again!” He announced and I could just imagine he was bouncing lightly on the spot. As always, I reached out and found his large gloved hand waiting to help me up the stairs. Lord Death was always considerate and had always helped me up the stairs even if I didn’t need it. Especially now, since I was physically blinded to my surroundings. It was a gentleman thing I supposed. He had always been my favourite superior.

“Thank you.” I said letting go of his hand and continuing forwards.

“How long have you been wearing a blindfold Akane?” He asked standing before me as Kyo and Kyoto came to a stop on either side of me. I tilted my head back thoughtfully and put my hands on my hips.

“It will be a year in just under a week.” I stated and then pressed on to the topic at hand. “How do you want to handle this situation?”

“Always business, business, business!” He exclaimed with a laugh. “I don’t want to alarm the residents of Death City or the other meisters by your brother’s presence.” I bristled at the word ‘brother’. I no longer considered that thing to be my sibling even if we had the same blood. “I was hoping that you would work with some of the more advanced meisters to track Jaden down.” I felt my eyebrow twitch.

‘Wonderful,’ I thought. ‘Students.’ I preferred to work alone with Kyo and Kyoto, my experienced weapons, but it was Lord Death’s City and, in the end, it was his call who we worked with.

“If you insist. Anyone in particular come to mind?” I asked crossing my arms unhappily over my chest.

“So, what time was school supposed to start at?” Kyo asked from behind me as we walked up the stairs towards the school’s entrance. I took a couple more steps hoping that Kyoto would answer his older brother. When no response came, I spoke up.

“I believe it was supposed to be at 7.” I stated continuing to climb the stairs. I heard the sound of fabric moving from Kyo and imagined he was looking at his watch.

“We’re a bit late.” He said. I turned my head slightly in his direction.

“What time is it?”

“Quarter to 12.” He said cavalierly.

“That’s what you consider a ‘bit’ late?  We were supposed to be here in the morning to get introduced to the students. Lord Death wants us to pick several to work with but I’m thinking that one set of students will be handful enough.” I said and took the last step onto a solid platform, which I recognized as the front of the school. Taking a few steps forwards I listened as Kyo and Kyoto examined the school from behind me. They threw words like ‘huge’ and ‘skulls’ around among others and I stopped a few paces ahead of them feeling eyes on me. There were six different people hovering nearby as I could tell from the six sets of breathing in front of me. I shifted my weight to one foot and crossed my arms agitated. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the newcomers.