Prologue: Our Good-bye (Troy)

Okay! I am winging this Camp NanoWriMo. I am doing a story from scratch. This is just an opportunity to improve my abilities.

Prologue

Troy

(Past)

Sunrise. I circled my arms around her figure savoring the fruity scent of her hair. I didn't want to wake her, but a part of me wanted her awake at least for this. This moment. Our last moments we would share together. The ferry would leave in a few hours. Taking her away from me, making this summer a daydream for the both of us.

I felt her stir and I felt my lips twitched. I knew she was waking. I nuzzled my nose in her hair again to let her know I'm there to coax her out of sleep, hoping that if she felt anything like I felt life would be better than the dream, at least for once.

I loved how the sun made her tawny skin a beautiful glowing bronze.

I heard her moan again, and my lips found the column of her neck under her thick gorgeous mane of dark brown curls and I just peppered kisses on her skin. She giggled and I knew she was up.

This would have been easier in the back of my truck, if I had known we'd make love out last night together, I would have gotten some blankets and some pillows. We'd watched the sunrise that way but I couldn't say I didn't like this, being tangled in her in the cab of my truck, naked not knowing what body parts are mine or hers. This was how we fell asleep, how I didn't know, but I loved every minute of it.

She rested her head on my shoulder tilting her head over toward the shoreline where the sun peaked over the water. I had watched this sunset many times over this very dock and it never held this much significance. As painful as it was, it was painfully beautiful.

I brushed my fingers up her spine and felt her curl into me and play with my bush of chest hair. A reminder of my age. I tried not to think about that, but it was something that always seemed to float to the surface of my mine. This day was no exception.

She would go off to college, live her life. I would go back and open the bar like I did everyday for the past ten years, probably get a call for my ex-wife she possibly talk me out of more money for my son, which as usual wouldn't make it to my son, it would fund her drug habit. The more I thought about it the more it seemed like she would always be the best thing that ever happened to me, but she had her life ahead of her. Far away from here. She'd talked about Paris, Italy. I wanted that for her. I would probably die here. Like my mother. Like my father. Like my grandparents. This island was all I knew.

Her eyes met mine. I loved how the sun made honey colored flecks in her eyes. Her plump pink lips curved into a sleepy smile. Pink rose on her cheeks and she buried her face in my chest bashfully, causing me to let out a light chuckle, wondering what on earth could have been going through that beautiful mind of hers.

My hand slid down to her ripe bottom gently. "Are you sore?"

Her hand covered her mouth as she closed her eyes and then opened them again and nodded.

I remember I had tried to be gentle but I didn't expect her to feel so good. I had lost myself in her in so many ways. "I'm sorry."

I had never intended us to go that far. We had danced around this all summer. Scarlett was my brother's friend, she was just looking for a summer job. I didn't know when the dynamic change between. I knew it was just the divorce left me sore, she had just been an ear. I didn't normally vent to anyone but something about her made it easy for me. I guess she was dealing with shit too. We were just two people leaning on each other, and it lead to this incredible moment that I wanted to treasure.

"I think I'm sore for a different reason." I joked. Again I was reminded of our age difference and how she was like that beautiful sunrise. Like a new day full of possibilities.

She turned again toward the ocean. "I could stay." She said softly.

I blew out a breath. As much as I wanted that, I couldn't ask her to do that. "No." I said simply. I guided her chin toward me in my fingertips. "I can't let you do that, babe."

Her eyes fell, making my heart fall too. She looked at me with a shield of tears in her eyes. "I thought..."

I put my forehead on hers.I could almost finish her sentence and it hurt that she even thought that way. "Baby, last night was amazing." I tangled my fingers between hers feeling a hardness in the back of my throat, "Just know that your first time was with a man that knows just how special you are, and loved you enough to let you go." The last words stung my heart like a cattle brander. It felt good being such a staple in her life. I had my own reasons for remembering her, but I was her first. That was something that made me feel like a king.

All of the women I had been with, I could honestly admit that last night was just as special for her as it was for me.

She leaned into me more pushing her breast on my chest. I loved the feel of her soft skin against mine and wanted to relish in it.

"I don't want to go."

My chest tightened. "You have to." I rested my chin on her head tangling my fingers in her curls, "I'm already living my dream, you have to live yours."

"I'll come back." Her voice was hoarse and shaky.

They always said that. There were two kinds of people that lived on Trenton Island those that were stuck here, and those who were just passing through. Her family stayed for a year, and that was a year that changed my life forever, but now she had to go or she'd be stuck here forever, dreaming of the day she would leave. It was what happened to my mother, and even me.

"Live your life, Scarlett." I said holding her tighter, " Just don't forget your first fan." I placed a kiss atop her head.

I felt the jerk of her body and then the warm drops on my chest. I expected this, but not the fact that it would rip me inside out. I didn't want this. I wanted her forever, but it was selfish. I couldn't be selfish, not this time. I felt my own eyes start to burn, but I was going to drive her to the ferry and say good-bye. I would open the restaurant like any other day. This was the path I chose, and it would have been selfish to make someone so young settle for that.

The sad part was, that's what it came down to. I'd had my share of regrets, I couldn't bare the thought of being one of hers.