A Kiss In the Rain (a short story by Abby Johnson)

"Are you really doing this?" She asked.

"Yes," he replied, turning the key in the ignition. "I'm on my way."

She hung up the phone and ran to her bedroom door. She peeked around the corner, saw that no other lights were on in the house, and figured it was safe. After down hallway, she collected a towel and retreated back into her room. From there, she could only wait.

A short time later, she saw the flash of headlights on her street. All at once, she grabbed the towel and made her escape. Down the stairs she went, relying on the memory of her own staircase to make her way through the darkness. 1... 2... 3... She counted all the way down until the carpet gave way to the cold, wooden floor. Pressing her hand over the door, she unlocked the door, finding liberation in the humid night air.

As if from a movie scene, a figure emerged from a white pick-up truck across the street. He saw as she came bolting from the house, and met her in full embrace before he lifted her chin to let their lips meet.

"I can't believe you snuck out to see me." She confessed as the clouds above began to spill out ever-so lightly.

He traced her delicate curvature with his fingertips. "Of course. I wanted to be here with you for this."

As if on cue, it began to drizzle. The pair slow danced to imaginary music in the dim glow of a single street light. He reached to caress her cheek and move a damp lock of hair off of her face as he kissed her once more.

"The summer rain reminds me of home," she said, filled with nostalgia. "But I like it much better here with you. I feel like I am in a Rom-Com." She laughed, and he smiled noting that her laugh was the most beautiful thing he had ever heard.

"A Rom-Com?" He smirked. "Is the comedy that I get home and get busted?"

"Fine, a romance. We already have two of the biggest cliches in the book; kissing in the rain, and dancing under a street lamp."

He twirled her around before dipping her back and planting a kiss upon her once again. "There is your 'dip-and-kiss' cliche." He smiled, proud for his contribution.

A plane flew by overhead and she pointed at the night sky. "Pretend it is a shooting star. Make a wish!"

He draped his arm around her shoulders and replied, "All I could ever wish for is right here."

"Perfectly cliche," she laughed. "But mostly perfect."

Abruptly, her body stiffened as she spotted beam of light against the pearly white gates of her neighbor's yard. "Security!" She exclaimed, taking him by the hand and running for her porch, their bare feet clapping against the pavement.

They watched until the security man had passed and completed his nightly check of the street. She gave the boy a thumbs up to signify that they were safe. He then picked her up and carried her out into the rain and set her in the spot iluminated by the street light once again.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." She replied, as he gently pressed his lips to her forehead.

"But I really should be going before my parents notice that I'm gone." He took her hand and walked with her over to his truck.

She shifted her weight and became vaguely aware that her loose t-shirt had become clingy and slightly sheer as it got wet. "You should... but I don't want you to." She admitted sheepishly, an immediate flush spreading across her cheeks.

She bit her lip, and suddenly, he was overtaken by animalistic desire. He pushed her against the door of his truck and kissed her hard with wild passion. He ran his fingers through her wet hair and she pulled him closer by the nape of his neck. They pulled away from the kiss, still holding each other, in awe of the fire between them that not even the rain could quench.

She grabbed the door handle and opened it for him. "I don't want you to get in trouble." She said, allowing him to climb into the front seat.

"You're right," he admitted. "I will see you tomorrow, though."

She leaned in and planted a delicate kiss on his lips. "You will indeed. I love you so much."

"I love you too," he said, admiring the sparkle in her eyes as she grinned at him. "Goodnight."

She gingerly shut the door and ran for her porch. She wrapped herself in the fluffy white towel on the porch and watched as his taillights disappeared from the street entirely.

After peeling her drenched clothing away from her body and replacing them with pajamas, she crawled in her bed and allowed the pitter-patter of the rain on the window to sing her to sleep.

--

*Author's note*

inspired by true events <3