Chapter 2 :: Let's Play A Little Game

Chapter 2: Let’s Play A Little Game

                  “Sorry. Have I done something to upset you?” The moment they were alone in the elevator going up to the twentieth floor, Christian paused to talk to his attractive assistant who had been ignoring him since they left the meeting room earlier. She pivoted on her black pumps to avoid his gaze, but he could see her pouty reflection on the side of the elevator looking not so willing to answer him. Not that he was looking since the ass she had turned towards him was such a nicer view.

                   At once, she answered him. “No,” she said, but even the one word reply seemed to drown her in grief. Christian frowned at her reaction. What was she, defective? What in the world did he do to her for her to hate him so badly before she even gave him a chance?

                  Feeling frustrated with the progress, he glanced up at the digital display above the elevator door and counted the floors as they approached the apartment. Nineteen. Twenty. Ding. The elevator jolted to a stop and when the door slid open, Melissa quickly waltzed out with her chocolate curls bouncing behind her.

                  She led him to a door at the end of the hallway with the apartment number 2041 before sliding a card key through the panel on the side. The lock beeped, the light on the side flashed from a red to a green, and the door clicked open, revealing the premise inside.

                  There was a sense of pride that flushed through him when he entered the apartment and found that the company had given him everything he had asked for. Really, Christian had only done it for kicks, asking everything from a disco ball hanging off the living room ceiling to a TV that spread across half the room. There was a drink bar stocked with expensive liquor – though he had seen better – and the living room even offered an overwhelming view of the city.

                  Everything in the room from its décor to the furniture matched and complimented one another – something he expected no less from a designing company – and he had to take a peek in the kitchen and the bathroom to make sure everything else followed suit. Melissa didn’t follow his venture into the flat. She stood quietly by the front entrance, clinging to a clipboard of stuff against her body as she waited for him to return.

                  “Wow. You guys did an amazing job. This place is crazy.”

                  “Do you like it?” She asked, and though Christian was glad that she was speaking to him for once in her life, her tone was all business and no personal interest. “Is there anything that’s missing here that you need?”

                  “No. Don’t think so. It’s all here.”

                  “Alright then.” Stepping up to him, she handed him the card key she used to enter the room. “Here’s the access key to the flat. If you ever forget this or lose it, you can also manually punch in the password to enter. The password is written inside this pamphlet.” She handed it to him. “Your luggage arrived yesterday and I’ve placed all of it inside your room. There are also exercising and spa facilities at the lobby of the building that you may freely use. Do you have any questions so far?”